[Global_conference_committee] FW: Questions about OWASP support to local chapters

John Wilander john.wilander at owasp.org
Wed Dec 22 09:01:35 EST 2010

Well. I have a hard time accepting a loss for the foundation if the
organizers have not been transparent and not been in frequent contact with
the GCC. We all work so hard to bring in revenue to the foundation.

If we pursue and pay for this we will inevitably end up having to
compartmentalize OWASP. Either we require proper management and conferences
run through GCC or we take the losses in the regions or parts of the world
where they happen. I spent ~1000 hours doing AppSec Research 2010 in EU and
we produced a good revenue. OWASP has to be careful with how we use money
from such volunteer work.

I have faith in Mark and Kate so if they say a certain conference was run OK
but produced a loss anyway I have no problem with OWASP paying since we need
to support the activities around the globe. But if the GCC had close to zero
insight ... I vote no.

   /John

--
John Wilander, https://twitter.com/johnwilander