[Global_conference_committee] GCC OWASP GCC 2011 Plan

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Tue Dec 21 01:33:30 EST 2010

Mark the problem is how you are doing it.

At OWASP you can't force our leaders into doing stuff, they are
very allergic to 'regulations' and with 'you have to get authorization first
before you do XYZ' requirements. Leaders are self-motivated and tend to
focus on areas they are personally or professionally interested in. This
model has worked very well in the past, and all you need to do is to look at
the number of conferences, chapters and projects to see a very healthy
ecosystem.

I actually think that this is a good thing that OWASP has this allergy, and
as you can see on this thread, you can't just 'force' people into accepting
your ideas and requirements.

NOW, the big question is, in such environment how do you enforce some rules,
quality and control?

Well, you do it by creating a system of 'carrots and sticks' that reward the
behaviour you want (while allowing the ecosystem to try new things and be
creative)

Here are some example of *carrots*:

   - In the OWASP projects we work with the leaders to make their projects
   better, give them reviews/feedback on the project and give it more
   visibility (which is what we're trying to do with the Assessment Criteria
   V2)
   - In Chapters we give them resources to spend, speakers and logistical
   help
   - In Conferences we give them resources, logistics help, speakers,
   visibility, etc...

The main *stick* that we have (which we have to be very sensitive how to use
it) is that fact that we control the 'definition of what is an OWASP
Leader'. So for example there are talks at the moment on: 'How to evaluate
Chapter Leaders performance? What is the process to remove chapter leaders?
What is an Active Committee member?, etc...

This means that we need to be much better at removing leaders that are too
busy to work on their project/chapter/committee/board leadership (or that
are simply not good enough), since that will keep the system in check, and
will reward the leaders that work hard and 'deliver'.

Wouldn't it be 'easier' if you could just create a set of rules that you
could 'mandate' to the rest of the OWASP Community? (just like Marketing
Departments do?) . Maybe, but that would implode OWASP and would completely
change the dynamics.

Finally for a better example of the power of 'going independently', look at
your our DC conference. In a very top down approach the AppSec DC this year
would had never happened the way it did. BUT because you guys took the
responsibility and worked really hard to make it happen, it was the success
it was :)

*The OWASP Brand is a good example of something that we are doing
a conscious effort NOT to manage and efforce. *OWASP Brand has an historical
record of NON being abused by its leaders/community (with
some exceptions of course) and our job is to raise the bar and to work with
the best OWASP teams to show the rest of the community how to do it

In fact, there is a line of thinking (which I agree with) that says that *part
of the problem with the OWASP brand is that it is not abused enough!!! And
this lack of abuse is a direct consequence of it not being used enough*
*
*
:)

Dinis Cruz