[Global_conference_committee] GCC OWASP GCC 2011 Plan

Ralph Durkee ralph.durkee at owasp.org
Mon Dec 20 22:41:39 EST 2010

It looks pretty clear there has been too much chaos and not enough
oversight on some of the major conferences,  but I think you're going
way overboard in the other direction having the GCC trying to regulate
branding at non-owasp conferences, and try to regulate too heavy the
smaller community events is a mistake on several levels:

* We don't have the time and resources - let start slow with the fewer
and more major conferences where the largest stakes are held.
* It's contrary to OWASP openness and spirit of encouraging grass roots
participation
* Branding and logo usage is not just the GCC,  Let's put some general
guidelines and encouragement, but don't get in the way or people
spreading the good word of OWASP.
* If a conferences needs funding then that gives the GCC a hook, for
regulation, but the level of regulation should be proportionate the
funding and level of GCC resources that they needed.
* Bad governance can in fact makes this worse, especially in an
extremely open community like OWASP which is not accustomed to it, you
will create a backlash if we come down heavy.

As for the schedule I think you're making the same mistake with going
too far.  You need to control the schedule of the global conferences,
and we obviously don't want to control the schedule at the chapter
level.  As for the stuff in between I think the best we want to do is
influence schedules, help with communication  and let the smaller
conferences avoid conflicts themselves.  Any organizer worthwhile knows
that a real conflict isn't good for the conference; that is if it really
is a serious conflict at all.

-- Ralph