[Global_conference_committee] GCC Plan and the OWASP track

John Wilander john.wilander at owasp.org
Mon Dec 20 17:04:09 EST 2010

> All Global AppSec conferences must accommodate
>      an OWASP Track
> Will not represent more than 1/3 of content (can be half day, full day, full conference as applies to the individual conference)
> Joint venture with Projects Committee
> Regional/theme events will have this available to them

I'm still worried about the quality of the OWASP track. There are quite a few PowerPoint pushers out there and some of them will think an OWASP presentation is a voucher for going abroad. That would be a real waste of our precious money since the audience would get a lousy impression of OWASP while the foundation pays a hefty sum for moving and accommodating the speaker.

If I were organizing a conference I'd read the instructions above as if there has to be an OWASP track regardless of the quality. Some OWASP leader from some chapter around the world sends in a default abstract for an OWASP Testing Guide presentation and I have to accept him/her. I might not even review that submission since I have to accept it anyway.

A way around this would be to require OWASP speakers to _demo_ the stuff they're presenting. I just did OWASP training at IBWAS'10 and spent ~25 hours implementing and preparing demos. I ran code live. Demo or Die, I say.

/John