[Global_conference_committee] Amendments to the recently approved GCC Governance Document (was: vote thread)

John Wilander john.wilander at owasp.org
Sun Dec 19 19:38:59 EST 2010

2010/12/20 Lucas Ferreira <lucas.ferreira at owasp.org>

> John,
>
> Doesn't the new OWASP Global AppSec name solve this issue?

No. Check the plan thread and you'll see that there's a policy change
clearly stating that the OWASP AppSec "title can only be used by global
cons, and by conferences who have already used this name twice by the end of
2011, moving forward, only new Global AppSecs can use this name".

So from now on only the lucky ones who managed to use the AppSec
name regionally twice before 2012 get to use it in the future. So we know
there will never be an AppSec Nordic, an AppSec France or an AppSec
Argentina.

I think this is a biased decision. Either we allow for future regional
AppSecs (my vote) or we kill them all.

Quote from the plan thread:

Policy Changes

   - Change Conference Types to include:
   - OWASP Global AppSec Conferences (Currently AppSec Conferences)
      - OWASP AppSec Conferences (*Title* can only be used by global cons,
      and by conferences who have already used this name twice by the
end of 2011,
      moving forward, only new Global AppSecs can use this name)
      - OWASP Regional/Theme Conference (currently Regional, *DROP *all
      regional cons will now have to have a unique theme,

--
John Wilander, https://twitter.com/johnwilander
Chapter co-leader OWASP Sweden, http://owaspsweden.blogspot.com