[Global_conference_committee] Amendments to the recently approved GCC Governance Document (was: vote thread)

Mark Bristow mark.bristow at owasp.org
Fri Dec 17 10:51:49 EST 2010

 John,

Inline comments below.

FYI All, Looped in the GCC list.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:39 AM, John Wilander <john.wilander at owasp.org>wrote:

>> 2010/12/17 Mark Bristow <mark.bristow at owasp.org>
>>
>> So john, some inline comments to your comments below.
>>>
>>> Also, do you approve the doc as is and want to put up separate changes,
>>> or is this a reject?  If so, we'll re-open for discussion.
>>>

>> I approve as long as we can discuss and get changes in there eventually.

Doing it now,  Looped in the main GCC list.

>>  *

>>> Fine by me.  If I got elected for 2011, would make it my last year.
>>>

>> To be clear – I think you're doing a great job and I'm not challenging
>> you. But I think it's healthy to have a max. Would be good for the OWASP
>> Board too. People tend to deliver their best if they know the timeframe for
>> their engagement and there's a natural succession when people know there has
>> to be a new leader/chair chosen. Look at American presidents vs Swedish
>> ever-prime ministers. I much prefer the American "you get two terms max".

A) feel free to challenge me
B) I agree, some term limits are healthy to keep things fresh.  I agree on
the board comment but that's for the new Governance working session that I
just found out I'm in......
C) I don't think that Lifetime MAXes are necessary, but i"m good with only
3 consecutive years.

>>> I think that "Meetings will be scheduled based on the availability of
>>> the majority of the members" settles this somewhat. This forces some type of
>>> "polling" in order to set the meeting date time. Much like I use Doodle now
>>> for scheduling.
>>>

>> Yeah. As long as we don't end up in the GCC always having a majority of
>> people in certain time zones so the majority of members constantly prefer
>> that time zone.

This is an entirely separate problem.  I'd love to have more people from
europe, asia and south america on the committee but unfortunately we haven't
had many takers to date.  I think that we as a committee should not accept
additional members from the US unless one resigns.

>>  Add a sentence about the GCC member(s) with conflicting interests to
>>>>>

>>> Recusal is not a bad idea, however since our meetings are open to anyone
>>> to join it would be odd for the GCC member to have to leave when anyone in
>>> OWASP is welcome to stay.
>>>

>> I wouldn't mind. As a formal member I understand that people will need to
>> discuss freely for the committee to reach the right decision.

I just feel this is counter to "openness".  It's a tough call, because if I
wasn't a GCC member, and I knew the GCC was taking something up important to
me, I'd be on the call anyway to argue my case if needed.  However I find
that I'm better with mental compartmentalization than most.

>>  I don't it'll be a problem but gas prices vary a lot around the globe.
>>>>

>>> Do you have an internationally recognized index we can throw in here?
>>>

>> :D. No, but just a note on proving by receipt what your fuel costs were
>> per km/mile would be fine. Then we can default to the amount you have there.

Well, on tho the 2011 plan vote so we can ask the board for funds for this
to matter ;)

--
Mark Bristow
(703) 596-5175