[Global_conference_committee] Conference/Chapter Revenue Splitting

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Mon Dec 13 09:18:18 EST 2010

Why not allowing the chapters have those funds? Do you think they will abuse
it?

There is no reason why chapters cannot have a bigger role in OWASP's
governance and on money spending activities (for example a chapter could
'adopt' a number of projects / Committee and on the Summit case cover the
cost of multiple participants). The main thing about money at OWASP is
people feeling empowered to spend it wisely, which if you look around is
actually a big problem at OWASP.

Everytime we spend a bit of money we tend to make more money, so one of the
big issues we have at OWASP is for our leaders to feel empowered and
motivated to spend it.

Ultimately it is all OWASP money, so the more it is wisely spent the better
(and remember that the local chapters will only screw-up once :)  i.e. if
there are abuses we can always move that money to OWASP central)

And if the chapter cannot find a way to spend the money wisely, then after a
period (6 or 12 months) that money should go back to OWASP central (the idea
of an 'expiry date' we talked before)

Dinis Cruz