[Global_conference_committee] Conference/Chapter Revenue Splitting

Tin Zaw tin.zaw at owasp.org
Mon Dec 13 02:34:12 EST 2010

I don't think the cap is a good idea. If the conference generates more than
$10k in profit (like AppSec USA did), why not let the local chapter(s) get
more share. It's a win-win for both local chapter(s) and HQ -- more
incentive to make it more profitable. The cap could also mean more incentive
for local chapters to cap conference profits at $10k by spending conference
on extravagant stuff like gifts, parties, etc.

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Mark Bristow <mark.bristow at owasp.org>wrote:

> Ooh, important oversite, sorry just not thinking.
>
> Membership revenue will count to the conference overall budget (at the
> normal rate).  This way, it indirectly still helps the chapter (by
> increasing profitability) and is infinitely easier for Kate and Alison to
> reconcile the ledger.
>
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Michael Coates <michael.coates at owasp.org>wrote:
>
>> How do you plan to handle Membership signups under this new policy (i.e
>> bullet #2 below)?
>>
>> Michael Coates
>> OWASP
>>

>> On Dec 12, 2010, at 5:07 PM, Mark Bristow wrote:
>>
>> GCC,
>>
>> The current policy on how conference profit splitting is done is unclear
>> and has been unevenly applied.  This issue has come up recently and I can't
>> seem to find a final policy decision on it, so here we go.  We should get
>> this squared away with a vote after some debate.  Things that people thought
>> it were are:
>>
>>    - None
>>    - Chapter gets the normal split of any Membership signups/renewals
>>    done with Con registration & at the conference
>>    - Chapters get 30% of Conference Profits (note, profits not revenue),
>>    Conference keeps membership income
>>
>> I propose a new policy:
>>
>> A conference host chapter shall receive 30% of conference profits, up to a
>> cap of $3,000 into their chapter expense account.  In cases where there are
>> multiple host chapters, 30% of conference profits, up to a cap of $4,000
>> shall be split evenly among the host chapters, or via
>> any distribution agreed upon by the host chapters.  This applies to Global
>> AppSec and Regional Conferences.  Profits from local events will be split
>> 50/50 with the foundation.
>>
>> Now, before we get into "why do chapters need to get a split at all", a
>> camp I used to be a member of, hosting an AppSec conference or regional
>> conference is a HUGE undertaking, as we all know.  I think this is a fair
>> policy in compensating the local chapter who volunteers much of their time
>> to put on a conference.  While the amounts are capped I think it's a
>> reasonable cap as chapters don't generally have large expenses.
>>
>> Any thoughts, comments on this?
>>

>> --
>> Mark Bristow
>> (703) 596-5175
>> mark.bristow at owasp.org
>>
>> OWASP Global Conferences Committee Chair - http://is.gd/5MTvF
>> OWASP DC Chapter Co-Chair - http://is.gd/5MTwu
>> AppSec DC Organizer - https://www.appsecdc.org

> --
> Mark Bristow
> (703) 596-5175
> mark.bristow at owasp.org
>
> OWASP Global Conferences Committee Chair - http://is.gd/5MTvF
> OWASP DC Chapter Co-Chair - http://is.gd/5MTwu
> AppSec DC Organizer - https://www.appsecdc.org

--
Tin Zaw, CISSP, CSSLP
Chapter Leader and President, OWASP Los Angeles Chapter