[Global_conference_committee] Vendor Pitches; Global_conference_committee Digest, Vol 25, Issue 26

Carlos Serrao carlos.serrao at iscte.pt
Thu Dec 2 07:22:21 EST 2010


Yes,
message taken... ;-)

We will have to find other ways...

Thank you so much for clarifying such issue. This was really helpful.

Best regards.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 9:50 PM, dinis cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org> wrote:
> Just clarifying, the thing we have to avoid is what you asked in
> "...And they can use the time to talk freely?.."
>
> I.e. we really don't want the vendors to talk freely in the stage, since
> that could be seen as an invite to do a marketing pitch
> Dinis Cruz
>
> Blog: http://diniscruz.blogspot.com
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/DinisCruz
> Web: http://www.owasp.org/index.php/O2
>
>
> 2010/12/1 Mark Bristow <mark.bristow at owasp.org>
>>
>> Definitely no issue with this.
>>
>> Having sponsors for "things" is fine too, lunch, coffee, tracks et all is
>> also fine so long as the advertising isn't overwhelming.
>>
>> 2010/12/1 Carlos Serrão <carlos.serrao at owasp.org>
>>>
>>> Ok,
>>> but this:
>>> " A wrap up at the end, with raffles and a max of 5 minutes per vendor is
>>> acceptable practice."
>>> is ok? Right?
>>> And they can use the time to talk freely?
>>> Best regards.
>>> On 2010/12/01, at 18:57, Mark Bristow wrote:
>>>
>>> I would say even in this scenario this would not be consistent with OWASP
>>> core values.
>>>
>>> -Mark
>>>
>>> 2010/12/1 Carlos Serrão <carlos.serrao at owasp.org>
>>>>
>>>> Dear Richard,
>>>> this is why I was proposing a parallel sponsor track, to give people the
>>>> option to go there or not. If they choose to go, it is ok, if they do not
>>>> wish to go they have other alternatives. This is acceptable under what you
>>>> are saying?
>>>> Best regards,
>>>> On 2010/12/01, at 05:20, Richard Greenberg wrote:
>>>>
>>>> There should never be a vendor track; a technology track, ok. But,
>>>> people don't spend their money to go to conferences to hear vendor pitches.
>>>> A wrap up at the end, with raffles and a max of 5 minutes per vendor is
>>>> acceptable practice. People can elect to stay or leave.
>>>>
>>>> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 9:08 AM,
>>>> <global_conference_committee-request at lists.owasp.org> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Send Global_conference_committee mailing list submissions to
>>>>>        global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>>>
>>>>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>>>>
>>>>>  https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>>>>        global_conference_committee-request at lists.owasp.org
>>>>>
>>>>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>>>>        global_conference_committee-owner at lists.owasp.org
>>>>>
>>>>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>>>>> than "Re: Contents of Global_conference_committee digest..."
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Today's Topics:
>>>>>
>>>>>   1. Re: IBWAS Sponsor talks (Mark Bristow)
>>>>>   2. Re: IBWAS Sponsor talks (Carlos Serr?o)
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>
>>>>> Message: 1
>>>>> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 11:08:43 -0500
>>>>> From: Mark Bristow <mark.bristow at owasp.org>
>>>>> Subject: Re: [Global_conference_committee] IBWAS Sponsor talks
>>>>> To: John Wilander <john.wilander at owasp.org>
>>>>> Cc: global_conference_committee
>>>>>        <global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org>
>>>>> Message-ID:
>>>>>        <AANLkTinP2+zPc1s7ALhBPiUK0tnfqrAotrztz2Tzh_z8 at mail.gmail.com>
>>>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>>>>>
>>>>> I would actually shy away from this entirely.  It's much easier to have
>>>>> a
>>>>> "no vendor pitch" policy than "pitches are sometimes ok, sometimes not"
>>>>> policy.  I'd rather miss out on a sponsor than compromise OWASP's
>>>>> integrity.
>>>>>
>>>>> -Mark
>>>>>
>>>>> 2010/11/30 John Wilander <john.wilander at owasp.org>
>>>>>
>>>>> > Clear sponsor messages, not bundled with vital conference
>>>>> > information? I
>>>>> > would be fine with that.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Disguised sponsor talks or "listen to the sponsor talks or you'll
>>>>> > miss
>>>>> > vital conference information"? That's what I'm against.
>>>>> >
>>>>> >    /John
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>> > 2010/11/30 Carlos Serr?o <carlos.serrao at owasp.org>
>>>>> >
>>>>> >> Lucas,
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> On 2010/11/30, at 15:48, Lucas Ferreira wrote:
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> > Carlos,
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > at AppSec Brasil 2010, we had a 5 to 10 minute slot to thank the
>>>>> >> > sponsors. In this slot, we thanked the sponsors and their
>>>>> >> > representatives (2 sponsors) had a few minutes to send their
>>>>> >> > message.
>>>>> >> > We also had raffles that were randomly scheduled throughout the
>>>>> >> > conference.
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > I have no restrictions about giving time to sponsors to speak
>>>>> >> > about
>>>>> >> > their products, but there should be a clear indication to the
>>>>> >> > audience
>>>>> >> > that the talk is an advertisement. What I dislike is having
>>>>> >> > sponsor
>>>>> >> > slots disguised as technical talks, as we see a lot in several
>>>>> >> > Brazilian conferences.
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> This is what I had in mind!!! I was think of having a specific small
>>>>> >> sponsor track, so that everyone would know that the message is
>>>>> >> clearly
>>>>> >> market-oriented. But apparently this is not an acceptable practice
>>>>> >> under
>>>>> >> OWASP. Is it?
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> Please, someone, advise.
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> Best regards.
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > Regards,
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > Lucas
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > 2010/11/30 Carlos Serr?o <carlos.serrao at owasp.org>:
>>>>> >> >> Yes,
>>>>> >> >> I think that is absolutely necessary, and I thank you for your
>>>>> >> >> message.
>>>>> >> I also agree with you.
>>>>> >> >>
>>>>> >> >> At the moment we don't have yet anything definitive and agreed
>>>>> >> >> with
>>>>> >> sponsors, we just need to know what type of visibility can we give
>>>>> >> to
>>>>> >> sponsors on our events.
>>>>> >> >>
>>>>> >> >> We need help, to define this... we need sponsors, but sponsors
>>>>> >> >> also
>>>>> >> want to see their investment somehow returned in terms of
>>>>> >> visibility.
>>>>> >> >>
>>>>> >> >> How do we do this... under OWASP practices?
>>>>> >> >>
>>>>> >> >> Best regards.
>>>>> >> >>
>>>>> >> >> On 2010/11/30, at 15:28, Lucas Ferreira wrote:
>>>>> >> >>
>>>>> >> >>> Carlos,
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>> that's why I think we need a policy: to make clear what is
>>>>> >> >>> acceptable.
>>>>> >> >>> Maybe you could give us a better explanation on what is being
>>>>> >> >>> negotiated with the sponsors.
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>> I am not trying to change the way IBWAS is being managed, I just
>>>>> >> >>> think
>>>>> >> >>> this is a relevant issue that arises in most conferences and
>>>>> >> >>> that we
>>>>> >> >>> (GCC) need to give conference organizers clear guidance on the
>>>>> >> >>> subject.
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>> Regards,
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>> Lucas
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>> 2010/11/30 Carlos Serr?o <carlos.serrao at owasp.org>:
>>>>> >> >>>> Lucas,
>>>>> >> >>>> we are not "negotiating sponsor talks". What we want to do is
>>>>> >> >>>> to
>>>>> >> offer visibility to the sponsors of our events without offending the
>>>>> >> practices of OWASP. We just need to find a solution suitable for
>>>>> >> both.
>>>>> >> >>>>
>>>>> >> >>>> Best regards,
>>>>> >> >>>>
>>>>> >> >>>> On 2010/11/30, at 15:10, Lucas Ferreira wrote:
>>>>> >> >>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>> Hello GCC Members,
>>>>> >> >>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>> the IBWAS, OWASP's conference for Portugal and Spain, is
>>>>> >> >>>>> negotiating
>>>>> >> >>>>> sponsor talks. Do we have a policy about that? If not, this is
>>>>> >> >>>>> something we need to put in the agenda to define a policy
>>>>> >> >>>>> soon.
>>>>> >> >>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>> Regards,
>>>>> >> >>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>> Lucas
>>>>> >> >>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>> --
>>>>> >> >>>>> Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum.
>>>>> >> >>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> >> >>>>> Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>>>> >> >>>>> Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>>> >> >>>>>
>>>>> >> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>> >> >>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>> --
>>>>> >> >>> Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum.
>>>>> >> >>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> >> >>> Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>>>> >> >>> Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>> >> >>
>>>>> >> >>
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > --
>>>>> >> > Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum.
>>>>> >> > _______________________________________________
>>>>> >> > Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>>>> >> > Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> _______________________________________________
>>>>> >> Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>>>> >> Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>>> >> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>> > --
>>>>> > John Wilander, https://twitter.com/johnwilander
>>>>> > Chapter co-leader OWASP Sweden, http://owaspsweden.blogspot.com
>>>>> >  <http://owaspsweden.blogspot.com>Co-organizer Global Summit,
>>>>> > http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011
>>>>> > <http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011>Conf Comm,
>>>>> > http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Conferences_Committee
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>> > _______________________________________________
>>>>> > Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>>>> > Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>>> > https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Mark Bristow
>>>>> (703) 596-5175
>>>>> mark.bristow at owasp.org
>>>>>
>>>>> OWASP Global Conferences Committee Chair - http://is.gd/5MTvF
>>>>> OWASP DC Chapter Co-Chair - http://is.gd/5MTwu
>>>>> AppSec DC Organizer - https://www.appsecdc.org
>>>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>>>> URL:
>>>>> https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/global_conference_committee/attachments/20101130/6680de16/attachment-0001.html
>>>>>
>>>>> ------------------------------
>>>>>
>>>>> Message: 2
>>>>> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:09:42 +0000
>>>>> From: Carlos Serr?o <carlos.serrao at owasp.org>
>>>>> Subject: Re: [Global_conference_committee] IBWAS Sponsor talks
>>>>> To: John Wilander <john.wilander at owasp.org>
>>>>> Cc: global_conference_committee
>>>>>        <global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org>
>>>>> Message-ID: <6ECB93AB-A19F-4E89-AF02-AA1232584DA0 at owasp.org>
>>>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>>>>>
>>>>> No,
>>>>>
>>>>> my idea was to have a separate "Sponsors Track" where sponsors could
>>>>> deliver their message. I was thinking this would occur in a different room
>>>>> as a parallel session to other technical session occurring on other rooms.
>>>>>
>>>>> I would like to know the official position about OWASP on this... is
>>>>> this acceptable under OWASP rules. Yes or no. If not what can we do to offer
>>>>> more visibility to sponsors?
>>>>>
>>>>> Apart from that we will distribute sponsors brochures to participants,
>>>>> but I believe this does not raise to many questions, right?
>>>>>
>>>>> Best regards.
>>>>>
>>>>> On 2010/11/30, at 16:05, John Wilander wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> > Clear sponsor messages, not bundled with vital conference
>>>>> > information? I would be fine with that.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Disguised sponsor talks or "listen to the sponsor talks or you'll
>>>>> > miss vital conference information"? That's what I'm against.
>>>>> >
>>>>> >    /John
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>> > 2010/11/30 Carlos Serr?o <carlos.serrao at owasp.org>
>>>>> > Lucas,
>>>>> >
>>>>> > On 2010/11/30, at 15:48, Lucas Ferreira wrote:
>>>>> >
>>>>> > > Carlos,
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > at AppSec Brasil 2010, we had a 5 to 10 minute slot to thank the
>>>>> > > sponsors. In this slot, we thanked the sponsors and their
>>>>> > > representatives (2 sponsors) had a few minutes to send their
>>>>> > > message.
>>>>> > > We also had raffles that were randomly scheduled throughout the
>>>>> > > conference.
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > I have no restrictions about giving time to sponsors to speak about
>>>>> > > their products, but there should be a clear indication to the
>>>>> > > audience
>>>>> > > that the talk is an advertisement. What I dislike is having sponsor
>>>>> > > slots disguised as technical talks, as we see a lot in several
>>>>> > > Brazilian conferences.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > This is what I had in mind!!! I was think of having a specific small
>>>>> > sponsor track, so that everyone would know that the message is clearly
>>>>> > market-oriented. But apparently this is not an acceptable practice under
>>>>> > OWASP. Is it?
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Please, someone, advise.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Best regards.
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > Regards,
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > Lucas
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > 2010/11/30 Carlos Serr?o <carlos.serrao at owasp.org>:
>>>>> > >> Yes,
>>>>> > >> I think that is absolutely necessary, and I thank you for your
>>>>> > >> message. I also agree with you.
>>>>> > >>
>>>>> > >> At the moment we don't have yet anything definitive and agreed
>>>>> > >> with sponsors, we just need to know what type of visibility can we give to
>>>>> > >> sponsors on our events.
>>>>> > >>
>>>>> > >> We need help, to define this... we need sponsors, but sponsors
>>>>> > >> also want to see their investment somehow returned in terms of visibility.
>>>>> > >>
>>>>> > >> How do we do this... under OWASP practices?
>>>>> > >>
>>>>> > >> Best regards.
>>>>> > >>
>>>>> > >> On 2010/11/30, at 15:28, Lucas Ferreira wrote:
>>>>> > >>
>>>>> > >>> Carlos,
>>>>> > >>>
>>>>> > >>> that's why I think we need a policy: to make clear what is
>>>>> > >>> acceptable.
>>>>> > >>> Maybe you could give us a better explanation on what is being
>>>>> > >>> negotiated with the sponsors.
>>>>> > >>>
>>>>> > >>> I am not trying to change the way IBWAS is being managed, I just
>>>>> > >>> think
>>>>> > >>> this is a relevant issue that arises in most conferences and that
>>>>> > >>> we
>>>>> > >>> (GCC) need to give conference organizers clear guidance on the
>>>>> > >>> subject.
>>>>> > >>>
>>>>> > >>> Regards,
>>>>> > >>>
>>>>> > >>> Lucas
>>>>> > >>>
>>>>> > >>> 2010/11/30 Carlos Serr?o <carlos.serrao at owasp.org>:
>>>>> > >>>> Lucas,
>>>>> > >>>> we are not "negotiating sponsor talks". What we want to do is to
>>>>> > >>>> offer visibility to the sponsors of our events without offending the
>>>>> > >>>> practices of OWASP. We just need to find a solution suitable for both.
>>>>> > >>>>
>>>>> > >>>> Best regards,
>>>>> > >>>>
>>>>> > >>>> On 2010/11/30, at 15:10, Lucas Ferreira wrote:
>>>>> > >>>>
>>>>> > >>>>> Hello GCC Members,
>>>>> > >>>>>
>>>>> > >>>>> the IBWAS, OWASP's conference for Portugal and Spain, is
>>>>> > >>>>> negotiating
>>>>> > >>>>> sponsor talks. Do we have a policy about that? If not, this is
>>>>> > >>>>> something we need to put in the agenda to define a policy soon.
>>>>> > >>>>>
>>>>> > >>>>> Regards,
>>>>> > >>>>>
>>>>> > >>>>> Lucas
>>>>> > >>>>>
>>>>> > >>>>> --
>>>>> > >>>>> Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum.
>>>>> > >>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> > >>>>> Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>>>> > >>>>> Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>>> > >>>>>
>>>>> > >>>>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>> > >>>>
>>>>> > >>>>
>>>>> > >>>
>>>>> > >>>
>>>>> > >>>
>>>>> > >>> --
>>>>> > >>> Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum.
>>>>> > >>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> > >>> Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>>>> > >>> Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>>> > >>>
>>>>> > >>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>> > >>
>>>>> > >>
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > --
>>>>> > > Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum.
>>>>> > > _______________________________________________
>>>>> > > Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>>>> > > Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>> >
>>>>> > _______________________________________________
>>>>> > Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>>>> > Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>>> > https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>> > --
>>>>> > John Wilander, https://twitter.com/johnwilander
>>>>> > Chapter co-leader OWASP Sweden, http://owaspsweden.blogspot.com
>>>>> > Co-organizer Global Summit,
>>>>> > http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011
>>>>> > Conf Comm,
>>>>> > http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Conferences_Committee
>>>>> >
>>>>> > _______________________________________________
>>>>> > Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>>>> > Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>>> > https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>>
>>>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>>>> URL:
>>>>> https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/global_conference_committee/attachments/20101130/d002ebdd/attachment.html
>>>>>
>>>>> ------------------------------
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>>>> Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> End of Global_conference_committee Digest, Vol 25, Issue 26
>>>>> ***********************************************************
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Richard Greenberg, CISSP
>>>> Board of Directors, OWASP Los Angeles, www.owaspla.org
>>>> Board of Directors, ISSA Los Angeles, www.issa-la.org
>>>> OWASP Global Conference Committee
>>>> LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/richardagreenberg
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>>> Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>>> Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark Bristow
>>> (703) 596-5175
>>> mark.bristow at owasp.org
>>>
>>> OWASP Global Conferences Committee Chair - http://is.gd/5MTvF
>>> OWASP DC Chapter Co-Chair - http://is.gd/5MTwu
>>> AppSec DC Organizer - https://www.appsecdc.org
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Global_conference_committee mailing list
>>> Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mark Bristow
>> (703) 596-5175
>> mark.bristow at owasp.org
>>
>> OWASP Global Conferences Committee Chair - http://is.gd/5MTvF
>> OWASP DC Chapter Co-Chair - http://is.gd/5MTwu
>> AppSec DC Organizer - https://www.appsecdc.org
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Global_conference_committee mailing list
>> Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
>> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Global_conference_committee mailing list
> Global_conference_committee at lists.owasp.org
> https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee
>
>



-- 
Carlos Serrão
ISCTE-IUL/ISTA/DCTI | ADETTI-IUL/NetMuST | OWASP.PT


More information about the Global_conference_committee mailing list