[Global_committee_list] Barter in Trade - Please reply with your feedback by March 9, 2012.
helen.gao at owasp.org
Mon Feb 27 13:49:51 UTC 2012
Hello Members of all Committees,
There are currently 5 Barter Supporters. These deals have been ad hoc.
Recently there have been a couple of new requests. Now is the time to make
this process more transparent. This needs to be done before new barter is
accepted. The Membership Committee proposed the following. Your feedback
would be greatly appreciated. We will summerize it by March 9 and submit it
to the board in the next board meeting on March 12.
Barter In Trade Supporters
- In support of its mission OWASP Has allowed certain organizations to
achieve Supporter status without paying the typical required annual fee of
- To date these deals have been ad hoc and there is not a central
location for transparent access to information about these relationships
- This document is a DRAFT proposal for how to handle these
relationships going forward as well as how to handle the relationships that
Barter Supporter Publicity
- Barter Supporters are presented on the main Membership page
(https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Membership) alongside Organization
- We create a new wiki page (
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/BarterMembership) that will list the
Barter Supporters and associated info. This will look something like:
Organization Member Since Current Term Expires Consideration to OWASP OWASP
Requirements XYZ Security Media 2010 May 1st, 2012 1: Booths at 2011 XYZ
Media Conferences in San Francisco, New York and Paris
2: Full-page OWASP advertisement in XYZ Media conference programs
Valued at: $7500 1: OWASP provides ¼ page ads in the quarterly OWASP
Valued at: $2500
View Contract Here Acme Office Supplies 2009 September 15th, 2012 1: 10,000
2: 14 reams of paper
Valued at: $5000
- Membership is a significant source of OWASP revenue, so Barter
Supporters must be carefully considered and only accepted if the
relationship with the Barter Supporter will both support (or not negatively
impact) OWASP’s mission and if the consideration being offered justifies a
$5000 opportunity cost.
- Review considerations: Would OWASP use $5000 or more of cash on hand
to pay for the consideration being offered?
- If an office supply vendor offers to give OWASP $1M worth of
paperclips they are probably not a great candidate to be a
because OWASP does not need $1M worth of paperclips and OWASP
would not pay
$5000 for $1M worth of paperclips.
1. A possible candidate to be a Barter Supporter either approaches OWASP
or is identified by an OWASP Committee or Board Member. Organizations that
approach OWASP should be assigned to a Committee or Board Member and this
Committee or Board Member is responsible for being the main point of
contact for OWASP (“Main Contact”) as the Barter Supporter is brought
through the process.
2. The Main Contact works with the proposed Barter Supporter to gather
required information: what is the supporter going to contribute, what (if
anything) is OWASP required to contribute, what are the agreed-upon values
of the contributions, what will the term of the membership be (typically
one year), and what (if any) contract will be required. This will be
compiled into a proposal.
3. Once the information has been collected and the proposal created, it
is passed to the Membership Committee for review.
4. If approved by a majority vote of the Membership Committee then the
proposal is passed to the Board for review.
5. If approved by a majority vote of the Board then the organization can
be considered a Barter Supporter per the terms of the proposal.
- There are a number of organizations that are currently treated as
Barter Supporters - they need to have the terms of their support compiled
into the wiki page mentioned above along with “end dates” so that their
Supporter status is subject to review and renewal at an appropriate time.
They are Salesforce, BackHat, Akamai, Racksapce, Aspect Security.
- A Board or Committee Member should be assigned to each Barter
Supporter to help craft the historical record of the relationship. There is
no need for approval because these deals have essentially already been
de-facto approved. However we do need to compile a historical record.
- This should be done before any new Barter Supporters are accepted.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Global_committee_list