I (and I would have to assume many of us) have been involved with many other organizations that have chapters, and the most common way I&#39;ve seen it handled is for there not to be a &#39;split&#39; but a global organization membership fee plus a required chapter membership fee, and the chapters, to some extent, set their fee. If a new member doesn&#39;t want to affiliate with a chapter or there isn&#39;t a chapter that makes sense for them (due to location, etc.), they are an &#39;at-large&#39; member and the fee for that is equal to or higher than the highest chapter fee and it goes to either the global organization or all the chapters (collectively, all at-large member fees--a single member&#39;s fee may not be able to be split amongst all chapters obviously). What do you think?<div>

<br></div><div>Just like with married couples, our finances are always going to be the biggest source of contention. I still think our standard process should be for new or newly documented/harmonized &#39;policy&#39; to be set at the lowest possible level and vetoed by the board rather than approved. (I.e. committees should be empowered to do what they think is right when they--their members--can agree by consensus or vote when either it&#39;s clearly in their AoR or they have technical control. For example, our Conferences Committee has been trying to set a policy for a while for profit sharing between host chapters and global OWASP. Global Conferences have asked for input but it should only be considered input--not power/authority to overrule or filibuster. If after policy is set there is disagreement outside the policy-setting committee/body, the disagreeing party should appeal to the board to discuss and veto if warranted. If the board either doesn&#39;t think it needs to be discussed or discusses and ends up in favor of no change, then there&#39;s no change. The disagreeing party can appeal to the plenary (e.g. owasp-leaders) to try to rally support and vocalize such to the committee and/or board for reconsideration. It would then be incumbent for the board to decide whether they want to risk not getting re-elected because a sufficient portion of the voting members disagree with their view.)</div>

<div><br></div><div>Unfortunately we do have a lot of overlap between committees and other bodies such as, apparently, individual conferences/events, since Tom said below &quot;we conducted a membership raffle.&quot; To an individual, especially someone new to OWASP and/or who has just paid out of their own pocket for membership, this may be the chapters committee&#39;s fault, the membership committee&#39;s fault, the conference committee&#39;s fault, the conference/event organizer or host chapter fault, etc. Likewise in the eyes of the person(s) running the raffle who did not have the information about this individual being a part of a certain chapter.</div>

<div><br></div><div>I hope someone closer to that specific situation has a suggestion for keeping it from happening again but I certainly don&#39;t see accountability being clear here.</div><div><br></div><div>--matt</div>

<div><br><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Tom Brennan <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:tomb@owasp.org">tomb@owasp.org</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

<div bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><div>Home chapter is home chapter separate from conference. We actually had a complaint last week from a member that became one at appsec dc and was not associated to the local chapter when we conducted a membership raffle.  So in order to measure chapters properly we need to track individuals to home chapters.  They should be able to transfer there association if they like as well (like they move change jobs etc...).  The membership hotline = the contact us form on the Owasp website top right</div>

<div><div></div><div class="h5"><div><div><div><br><div><br></div></div></div></div><div><br>On May 18, 2011, at 12:46 PM, &quot;Stevens, Teresa&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:ExSi@pge.com" target="_blank">ExSi@pge.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>

<br></div><div></div><blockquote type="cite"><div>

<div><span><font face="Arial" color="#0000ff" size="2">I agree with following the standard membership policy. Thanks, --Teresa</font></span></div>
<div><font face="Arial" color="#0000ff" size="2"></font> </div>
<br>
<div lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left">
<hr>
<font face="Tahoma" size="2"><b>From:</b> <a href="mailto:global_chapter_committee-bounces@lists.owasp.org" target="_blank">global_chapter_committee-bounces@lists.owasp.org</a> [mailto:<a href="mailto:global_chapter_committee-bounces@lists.owasp.org" target="_blank">global_chapter_committee-bounces@lists.owasp.org</a>]
<b>On Behalf Of </b>dan cornell<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:45 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> Mark Bristow<br>
<b>Cc:</b> <a href="mailto:global_chapter_committee@lists.owasp.org" target="_blank">global_chapter_committee@lists.owasp.org</a>; dan cornell; <a href="mailto:Global_membership_committee@lists.owasp.org" target="_blank">Global_membership_committee@lists.owasp.org</a>; <a href="mailto:kelly.santalucia@owasp.org" target="_blank">kelly.santalucia@owasp.org</a>; Kate Hartmann; global_conference_committee; Alison McNamee<br>


<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Global_chapter_committee] [Global_membership_committee] [Global_conference_committee] membership during registration<br>
</font><br>
</div>
<div></div>
<div>I would tend to agree that we follow the standard membership policy of giving 40% to the originating chapter.  It is an incentive for the chapter folks to promote attendance at events.</div>
<div><br>
</div>
Thanks,
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Dan</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
<div class="gmail_quote">On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Mark Bristow <span dir="ltr">
&lt;<a href="mailto:mark.bristow@owasp.org" target="_blank"></a><a href="mailto:mark.bristow@owasp.org" target="_blank">mark.bristow@owasp.org</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
<blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="padding-left:1ex;margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:#ccc 1px solid">
(looping in chapters and membership)<br>
Kate,<br>
<br>
The Conferences Committee has no offical policy on this.  I was told that this went to the conference previously due to an undue burden on accounting resources. 
<br>
<br>
I&#39;m of the opinion that it should follow the standard membership committee policy (as it&#39;s sort of separate activity from the conference). In general tho I don&#39;t really think this is our AoR but we can discuss if there has been a change in the operational requiremetns.<br>


<br>
-Mark<br>
<br>
<div class="gmail_quote">On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Josh Sokol <span dir="ltr">
&lt;<a href="mailto:josh.sokol@owasp.org" target="_blank"></a><a href="mailto:josh.sokol@owasp.org" target="_blank">josh.sokol@owasp.org</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
<blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="padding-left:1ex;margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex;border-left:rgb(204,204,204) 1px solid">
<div>IMHO, this is a decision that should be left up to the conference planners.  If they are willing to take the time to separate the attendees into their respective chapters, then I think that due credit should be given to ensure that they get the 60/40 membership
 split.  If they are unwilling to take the time to do that, then it should just get rolled into the conference budget.  For what it&#39;s worth, &quot;take the time&quot; is basically just a matter of setting up a custom field in RegOnline before you start accepting registrations. 
 That field exists for LASCON 2011 and our intent is to pass the membership money back along to the chapter the member came from.  This incentive helps encourage the other OWASP chapters in Texas to participate in LASCON.</div>


<div> </div>
<div>~josh<br>
<br>
</div>
<div class="gmail_quote">
<div>
<div></div>
<div>On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Kate Hartmann <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:kate.hartmann@owasp.org" target="_blank"></a><a href="mailto:kate.hartmann@owasp.org" target="_blank">kate.hartmann@owasp.org</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>


</div>
</div>
<blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="padding-left:1ex;margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:rgb(204,204,204) 1px solid">
<div>
<div></div>
<div>
<div lang="EN-US" link="blue" vlink="purple">
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">Group, this has come up in the past for discussion, but I’m not aware that there was ever a final answer (other matters took priority)…</p>
<p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
<p class="MsoNormal">When an attendee becomes a member during the registration process for an event, does their 40% split apply to the event budget as income or to the local chapter a membership split.  Historically, this amount has applied to the conference
 budget, but I want to make sure we are continuing to do what we are supposed to be doing from an operational perspective.</p>
<p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
<p class="MsoNormal">If the “policy” is to apply the split back to the local chapter, are we giving attendees the opportunity to choose their own local chapter instead of the host chapter?</p>
<p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
<p class="MsoNormal">I need to make sure we get this set up correctly in all of our events.</p>
<p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Kate Hartmann</p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Operations Director</p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><a href="tel:301-275-9403" value="+13012759403" target="_blank">301-275-9403</a></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><a href="http://www.owasp.org/" target="_blank"></a><a href="http://www.owasp.org" target="_blank">www.owasp.org</a>
</p>
<p class="MsoNormal">Skype:  Kate.hartmann1</p>
<p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
</div>
</div>
<br>
</div>
</div>
_______________________________________________<br>
Global_conference_committee mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:Global_conference_committee@lists.owasp.org" target="_blank"></a><a href="mailto:Global_conference_committee@lists.owasp.org" target="_blank">Global_conference_committee@lists.owasp.org</a><br>
<a href="https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee" target="_blank"></a><a href="https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee" target="_blank">https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee</a><br>


<br>
</blockquote>
</div>
<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
Global_conference_committee mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:Global_conference_committee@lists.owasp.org" target="_blank"></a><a href="mailto:Global_conference_committee@lists.owasp.org" target="_blank">Global_conference_committee@lists.owasp.org</a><br>
<a href="https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee" target="_blank"></a><a href="https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee" target="_blank">https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_conference_committee</a><br>


<br>
</blockquote>
</div>
<font color="#888888"><br>
<br clear="all">
<br>
-- <br>
Mark Bristow<br>
<a href="tel:%28703%29%20596-5175" value="+17035965175" target="_blank">(703) 596-5175</a><br>
<a href="mailto:mark.bristow@owasp.org" target="_blank"></a><a href="mailto:mark.bristow@owasp.org" target="_blank">mark.bristow@owasp.org</a><br>
<br>
OWASP Global Conferences Committee Chair - <a href="http://is.gd/5MTvF" target="_blank">
</a><a href="http://is.gd/5MTvF" target="_blank">http://is.gd/5MTvF</a><br>
OWASP DC Chapter Co-Chair - <a href="http://is.gd/5MTwu" target="_blank"></a><a href="http://is.gd/5MTwu" target="_blank">http://is.gd/5MTwu</a><br>
AppSec DC Organizer - <a href="https://www.appsecdc.org" target="_blank"></a><a href="https://www.appsecdc.org" target="_blank">https://www.appsecdc.org</a><br>
<br>
</font><br>
_______________________________________________<br>
Global_membership_committee mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:Global_membership_committee@lists.owasp.org" target="_blank"></a><a href="mailto:Global_membership_committee@lists.owasp.org" target="_blank">Global_membership_committee@lists.owasp.org</a><br>
<a href="https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_membership_committee" target="_blank"></a><a href="https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_membership_committee" target="_blank">https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_membership_committee</a><br>


<br>
</blockquote>
</div>
<br>
</div>


</div></blockquote></div></div><blockquote type="cite"><div><span>_______________________________________________</span><br><span>Global_chapter_committee mailing list</span><div class="im"><br><span><a href="mailto:Global_chapter_committee@lists.owasp.org" target="_blank">Global_chapter_committee@lists.owasp.org</a></span><br>

</div><span><a href="https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_chapter_committee" target="_blank">https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_chapter_committee</a></span><br></div></blockquote></div><br>_______________________________________________<br>


Global_chapter_committee mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:Global_chapter_committee@lists.owasp.org">Global_chapter_committee@lists.owasp.org</a><br>
<a href="https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_chapter_committee" target="_blank">https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/global_chapter_committee</a><br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div>