[Global_chapter_committee] Moving to Global Initiatives Program & Retiring Committee Structure

Sarah Baso sarah.baso at owasp.org
Mon Apr 1 03:16:27 UTC 2013

Global Chapters Committee Members -

First and foremost, I wanted to thank you for your participation, input and
advice as members of the Global Chapters Committee.

As you all know, the committee structure is being retired but we hope that
you will still be involved in the OWASP Community, contributing to chapter
nurturing and guidance or other community initiatives that interest you.
 The goal of this transition is to motivate and encourage even MORE input
into initiatives that interest volunteers without those individuals having
to commit to monthly committee meetings or a structure that often required
more than individuals were able to keep up with.  In the 5 or so months
since we launched the Global Initiatives, almost 300 volunteers have signed
up to help with one of the many volunteer job postings related to
Conferences, Projects, Chapters, Industry, Membership, Education, and
Connections.  We hope that if you haven't already signed up to help with
one of these opportunities - you will consider getting onboard!

*Chapter Committee Legacy Initiatives:*
Please visit the Global Initiative Wiki
Page<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Initiatives_Global_Strategic_Focus>
for
the most comprehensive listing of volunteer initiatives and information,
including forms to collect your new ideas for the community.

Currently there is a Chapter Handbook Review
Initiative<http://owasp.force.com/volunteers/GW_Volunteers__VolunteersJobListing?campaignid=701U0000000ASLd>.
 This is one of the tasks that previously was covered by the Global Chapter
Committee Members, and if you are interested in continuing with reviewing
and providing feedback for the next version of the handbook, I encourage
you to sign up for the initiative.

Additionally, the legacies of OWASP on the Move, Chapter Nurturing Fund,
and Chapter Leader Summits will continue to exist and be supported by the
OWASP Staff.  Funding is available and applicants can continue to request
funding and participation for these activities through the previously
establish channels.  Questions or requests can be submitted through the Contact
Us form <http://owasp4.owasp.org/contactus.html>.

Are there other initiatives that relate to conference activity that you
would like to be involved in?  Send me an email or fill out the "Start your
own initiative" form <http://www.tfaforms.com/262386>.

*Ongoing Communication:*
The OWASP Staff hosts* webinars on each the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each
month*.  This is an opportunity for you to learn more about what is going
on in the OWASP community and discuss any concerns or questions that you
may have about initiatives or other OWASP topics.  We hope that this will
be a forum similar to the monthly committee meetings, but opening up
participation to a wider range of participants.  Information on the
Webinars can be found on the Global Initiative Wiki
Page<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Initiatives_Global_Strategic_Focus>
as well as the OWASP Connector (email newsletter).

The* OWASP Connector *is another opportunity for you to keep up with what
is going on with the OWASP community (as well as share your news).  The
Connector goes out to OWASP-All (all subscribers to all OWASP mailman
lists) every 2 weeks.  Previous OWASP Connectors can be viewed on the OWASP
Blog <http://owasp.blogspot.com/>.  If you have information you would like
included in the Connector, please submit it to one of the OWASP Staff
Members or through the Contact Us form<http://owasp4.owasp.org/contactus.html>
.

Again, I want to thank you for your contributions up to this point and
encourage you volunteer to help with one of our Global Initiatives, join a
Global Initiative call, and submit information for the Connector.

Best,
Sarah Baso

--
Director