[Global_chapter_committee] Chapter Committee Policy Discussion

Ivy ivy at owasp.org.cn
Thu Mar 22 09:20:59 UTC 2012

My ideas:
 1. Inactive chapter: I think only those chapters didn't have 2 events a year can be treated as inactive.

 2. "stale" funds:  chapters funds continously stays above a certain amount(e.g. $5000)  can be reallocated to Chapter committee as "start-up" funds. However, when this chapter become active later, they can get priority to apply for "star-up funds" from Chapter committee.

 Question:, is there email notification to chapter leaders the amount of funds in its chapter account?  Actually, i even don't know there is any funds in OWASP China chapter account. And there isn't any remarks in Handbook to let leaders know how can they get the funds or how much there are.( I am not sure, maybe just because i missed some policies.)

 3.  Foundation Cost: I suggest we get an actual number and compare with conference profit each time, and then choose the smaller one.  As different area may get different profit. If the conference only have a small profit, they can choose to pay smaller amount of money for OWASP services.

 Question: Can a chapter choose OWASP services? for example, if a chapter don't use regonline, or don't ask for help from Foundation?   I point out this is because in China, we could not use regonline because of international transfer problems. We could not transfer USD freely to other countries. Also there is language barriers, we could not ask for much help from OWASP support stuff.

 4. Start-up fees: Just mentioned in #2 that we can use those stale funds to set up start-up funds.

 5. loss:  try best to prevent loss. However, if there is some special cases, we can use "start-up" funds, if there are.

 ------------------
   Ivy Zhang

  From:  "Tin Zaw"<tin.zaw at owasp.org>;
 Date:  Thu, Mar 22, 2012 08:09 AM
 To:  "Josh Sokol"<josh.sokol at owasp.org>;
 Cc:  "global_chapter_committee"<global_chapter_committee at lists.owasp.org>;
 Subject:  Re: [Global_chapter_committee] Chapter Committee Policy Discussion

Josh,

Thanks for the good news -- that we are all on the same page. I aways
almost lose my breath after reading long emails :)

Here are my points.

* I think chapter inactivity should be based on the activity, not
movement in budget. If a chapter has less than two activities--
meeting, conference, training -- for a year, it should be marked as
inactive, per the current handbook's mandatory requirements. In
addition, if the leader gracefully steps down (by notifying us) or we
know as a fact that the leader has moved on (without notifying), we
can discuss and possibly mark it inactive.  Stale budget should raise
a red flag, but should not be a reason for getting marked as inactive.

Case in point: a chapter may have $5000 stable in its account, but it
held 5 meetings with ~30 attendees in each meeting last year. It's an
active chapter. Good for them that they get sponsors for these
meetings. They can use that $5000 for sending folks to the Summit,
etc. LA and Belgium chapters chipped in to sponsor Gustavo to the
Summit last year.

* The foundation should charge 10% administrative overhead for the
GROSS revenue of the admission fees. If the chapter charges $10 for a
ticket, $1 goes to the foundation. That is before profit and loss is
calculated. It is fair because the foundation underwrites the event
from legal and contractual perspective, regardless of P&L.

Open question: Should 10% of sponsorship money go to the foundation
too? It gets murky when the sponsor pays for food, venue, etc.
directly. I would say no here.

* The net income (or profit) should be shared with the foundation, at
10-20%, if the event is self-supported.

* For events that require financial investment by the foundation --
i.e., the chapter has $1000 in bank but the event costs $2000, and the
foundation has to "invest" $1000 in the event, the profit should be
shared 50/50 (suggestion, can negotiate), after the foundation's
investment ($1000) and the foundation's admin overhead (10% of ticket
sales) are covered.

I am thankful to you all that we are discussing this in a civil,
collegial manner. Let's hash out the details.

--
Tin Zaw, CISSP, CSSLP
Chapter Leader and President, OWASP Los Angeles Chapter