[Global_chapter_committee] Chapter Committee Policy Discussion

Tin Zaw tin.zaw at owasp.org
Thu Mar 22 00:09:51 UTC 2012

Josh,

Thanks for the good news -- that we are all on the same page. I aways
almost lose my breath after reading long emails :)

Here are my points.

* I think chapter inactivity should be based on the activity, not
movement in budget. If a chapter has less than two activities--
meeting, conference, training -- for a year, it should be marked as
inactive, per the current handbook's mandatory requirements. In
addition, if the leader gracefully steps down (by notifying us) or we
know as a fact that the leader has moved on (without notifying), we
can discuss and possibly mark it inactive.  Stale budget should raise
a red flag, but should not be a reason for getting marked as inactive.

Case in point: a chapter may have $5000 stable in its account, but it
held 5 meetings with ~30 attendees in each meeting last year. It's an
active chapter. Good for them that they get sponsors for these
meetings. They can use that $5000 for sending folks to the Summit,
etc. LA and Belgium chapters chipped in to sponsor Gustavo to the
Summit last year.

* The foundation should charge 10% administrative overhead for the
GROSS revenue of the admission fees. If the chapter charges $10 for a
ticket, $1 goes to the foundation. That is before profit and loss is
calculated. It is fair because the foundation underwrites the event
from legal and contractual perspective, regardless of P&L.

Open question: Should 10% of sponsorship money go to the foundation
too? It gets murky when the sponsor pays for food, venue, etc.
directly. I would say no here.

* The net income (or profit) should be shared with the foundation, at
10-20%, if the event is self-supported.

* For events that require financial investment by the foundation --
i.e., the chapter has $1000 in bank but the event costs $2000, and the
foundation has to "invest" $1000 in the event, the profit should be
shared 50/50 (suggestion, can negotiate), after the foundation's
investment ($1000) and the foundation's admin overhead (10% of ticket
sales) are covered.

I am thankful to you all that we are discussing this in a civil,
collegial manner. Let's hash out the details.

--
Tin Zaw, CISSP, CSSLP
Chapter Leader and President, OWASP Los Angeles Chapter