[Global_chapter_committee] Proposed Chapter Committee budget for 2012

Sarah Baso sarah.baso at owasp.org
Wed Sep 28 14:58:12 EDT 2011

Josh and others,

First some historical information:

In March, 2011 Kate requested from the Board $5,000 to pay for operational
support for the Chapters Committee.
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/March_7,_2011.  The contractual arrangement
<http://www.owasp.org/images/6/6b/Operational_Support_for_OWASP_Global_Committee.pdf>for
this position was to assist with the following tasks:

   - Taking and posting Committee meeting minutes
   - Follow up with Committee members re: committee deliverables
   - Editing/updating Committee Wiki page
   - Editing and proofing Committee documents
   - Facilitating meetings/calls/working relationships with key personnel
   - Other various administrative tasks as assigned by Committee chair
   and/or Operations  Director

These tasks could generally be handled in an average of 5 hours a week.
 However, in the time since I started working with the Chapters Committee, I
have taken on a variety of other chapter-related tasks at the request of
both Tin, the committee in general, and Kate.

These additional tasks include (but are not limited to):

   - Monitoring and updating the Global Chapter Committee Budget
   - Answering chapter related questions submitted through the OWASP
   Feedback Form<https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/owasp.org/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dFN1R2NIMTNROXN3dml4ZEcxXzJQYXc6MQ#gid=0>
   - Facilitation of requests for OWASP
merchandise<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dF85bGtvdWdrd2JjYldNZ1gxSkJxaEE6MQ>to
chapter meetings and local events
   - Setting up new chapters (this process is about 30 or so min. per
   chapter)
   - Setting up chapter leaders with OWASP email addresses
   - Tracking Chapter Metrics - chapter activity, current leader and leader
   contact information, date of last meeting, etc.
   - Assistance with the Chapter Workshops at AppSec  Europe, USA, and Latin
   America
   - Facilitating and booking chapter-related travel - flights, hotel and
   other misc. (Although it is possible for chapter leaders and others to book
   this travel themselves, due to a number of factors including fees associated
   with international money transfers for reimbursement, OWASP and the leaders
   are able to avoid charges and hassle through my booking).
   - Assisting with the coordination of chapter handbook rewrite and
   included policy changes.

I have started putting together monthly or semi-monthly board reports that
summarize my work (related to all OWASP activities, not just the Chapters
Committee):
For May & June - https://www.owasp.org/index.php/July_11,_2011_SB_Report
For July - https://www.owasp.org/index.php/August_8,_2011_SB_Report
For August and Sept - forthcoming.

While it may not seem that there are many tasks that require the assistance
of part time staff, I think Kate would agree with me that there are a great
many administrative tasks that just don't get addressed (or addressed in a
timely fashion) without a dedicated resource.  In the past, this has been
Kate, but with all the committee requests and over-all OWASP operational
needs, Kate is in need of assistance to ensure that OWASP can not only meet
current needs but take on additional goals required of a growing global
organization.

I hope that helps address any questions or concerns... but let me know if
there is anything else:)

Regards,
Sarah Baso
--