[Global_chapter_committee] Proposed Chapter Committee budget for 2012

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at ni.com
Mon Sep 26 17:36:55 EDT 2011

Yeah, I'd like to increase the chapter nurturing program as well.  This
seems to me like a core aspect of what our committee should be doing.  I
think that if we better publicize to chapter leaders what services are
available to them, then these funds will get used up very quickly.  I'm
not opposed to doubling or tripling them.

I haven't been on the committee long enough to know the answer to this
question, but I too am wondering what Ops Support really means in terms of
what that person would be doing.  Do we really need to pay $20k/year to
have someone to take notes at the monthly meeting?  What are the tasks
that aren't getting done now that require a part-time person to do?  As
the single largest line item in the budget, I would be interested in
seeing that flushed out a bit more.

Sincerely,

Josh Sokol (CISSP, CCNA, GWAS)
Information Security Program Owner
National Instruments

From:   Tin Zaw <tin.zaw at owasp.org>
To:     Seba <seba at owasp.org>
Cc:     global_chapter_committee
<global_chapter_committee at lists.owasp.org>
Date:   09/26/2011 01:11 PM
Subject:        Re: [Global_chapter_committee] Proposed Chapter Committee
budget  for 2012
Sent by:        global_chapter_committee-bounces at lists.owasp.org

Seba,

Good question about Ops Support.

$21,000 figure comes from 20/week * $20/hour * 52 weeks (=$20,800). The
intent is to hire an administrator part time, in conjunction with other
committees (such as conferences committee). That person will most likely
be Sarah, but does not have to be. If the board hires Sarah, or someone
else, full time directly under the board, that line item will be
reallocated to the board. At this point, I am putting it on the table so
that the board can think about it.

I don't have problem doubling Chapter Nurturing Program, but we had a lot
of surplus in 2011. We can ask for more but may not need to use all.

Thanks!

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Seba <seba at owasp.org> wrote:
 I'd double & push the Chapter Nurturing Program
can you clarify / break down Operational Support ?

--Seba

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Tin Zaw <tin.zaw at owasp.org> wrote:
Committee,

Please discuss and vote. The main difference is that we removed student
chapter line item (since it was not touched so far in 2011) and increased
ops support to equivalent of 20hrs/week.

I believe ops support expense was discussed in a separate thread and the
members unanimously agreed to it. If we need to support student chapters
-- our goal is to have at least 5 student chapters started -- we will dip
into nurturing fund.

We have time but let's have it done by Nov 1?

Thanks.

OWASP on the Move $10000
Chapter Leader Summits $15000
Chapter Nurturing Program $10000
Operational Support $21000
Total $56000

--
Tin Zaw, CISSP, CSSLP
Chapter Leader and President, OWASP Los Angeles Chapter

Global_chapter_committee at lists.owasp.org