[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_membership_committee] [Global_conference_committee] membership during registration

Matthew Chalmers matthew.chalmers at owasp.org
Wed May 18 14:22:24 EDT 2011

I (and I would have to assume many of us) have been involved with many other
organizations that have chapters, and the most common way I've seen it
handled is for there not to be a 'split' but a global organization
membership fee plus a required chapter membership fee, and the chapters, to
some extent, set their fee. If a new member doesn't want to affiliate with a
chapter or there isn't a chapter that makes sense for them (due to location,
etc.), they are an 'at-large' member and the fee for that is equal to or
higher than the highest chapter fee and it goes to either the global
organization or all the chapters (collectively, all at-large member fees--a
single member's fee may not be able to be split amongst all chapters
obviously). What do you think?

Just like with married couples, our finances are always going to be the
biggest source of contention. I still think our standard process should be
for new or newly documented/harmonized 'policy' to be set at the lowest
possible level and vetoed by the board rather than approved. (I.e.
committees should be empowered to do what they think is right when
they--their members--can agree by consensus or vote when either it's clearly
in their AoR or they have technical control. For example, our Conferences
Committee has been trying to set a policy for a while for profit sharing
between host chapters and global OWASP. Global Conferences have asked for
input but it should only be considered input--not power/authority to
overrule or filibuster. If after policy is set there is disagreement outside
the policy-setting committee/body, the disagreeing party should appeal to
the board to discuss and veto if warranted. If the board either doesn't
think it needs to be discussed or discusses and ends up in favor of no
change, then there's no change. The disagreeing party can appeal to the
plenary (e.g. owasp-leaders) to try to rally support and vocalize such to
the committee and/or board for reconsideration. It would then be incumbent
for the board to decide whether they want to risk not getting re-elected
because a sufficient portion of the voting members disagree with their
view.)

Unfortunately we do have a lot of overlap between committees and other
bodies such as, apparently, individual conferences/events, since Tom said
below "we conducted a membership raffle." To an individual, especially
someone new to OWASP and/or who has just paid out of their own pocket for
membership, this may be the chapters committee's fault, the membership
committee's fault, the conference committee's fault, the conference/event
organizer or host chapter fault, etc. Likewise in the eyes of the person(s)
running the raffle who did not have the information about this individual
being a part of a certain chapter.

I hope someone closer to that specific situation has a suggestion for
keeping it from happening again but I certainly don't see accountability
being clear here.

--matt