[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_conference_committee] membership during registration

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Wed May 18 12:26:42 EDT 2011

Well, it is, or was a revenue line item on the budget worksheet, I believe.

I agree with your statement, but if it needs to be different, I will need to
research options within regonline to make this happen.

Kate Hartmann

Operations Director

301-275-9403

 <http://www.owasp.org/> www.owasp.org

Global_membership_committee at lists.owasp.org
Subject: Re: [Global_conference_committee] membership during registration

(looping in chapters and membership)
Kate,

The Conferences Committee has no offical policy on this.  I was told that
this went to the conference previously due to an undue burden on accounting
resources.

I'm of the opinion that it should follow the standard membership committee
policy (as it's sort of separate activity from the conference). In general
tho I don't really think this is our AoR but we can discuss if there has
been a change in the operational requiremetns.

-Mark

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Josh Sokol <josh.sokol at owasp.org> wrote:

IMHO, this is a decision that should be left up to the conference planners.
If they are willing to take the time to separate the attendees into their
respective chapters, then I think that due credit should be given to ensure
that they get the 60/40 membership split.  If they are unwilling to take the
time to do that, then it should just get rolled into the conference budget.
For what it's worth, "take the time" is basically just a matter of setting
up a custom field in RegOnline before you start accepting registrations.
That field exists for LASCON 2011 and our intent is to pass the membership
money back along to the chapter the member came from.  This incentive helps
encourage the other OWASP chapters in Texas to participate in LASCON.

~josh

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Kate Hartmann <kate.hartmann at owasp.org>
wrote:

Group, this has come up in the past for discussion, but I'm not aware that
there was ever a final answer (other matters took priority).

When an attendee becomes a member during the registration process for an
event, does their 40% split apply to the event budget as income or to the
local chapter a membership split.  Historically, this amount has applied to
the conference budget, but I want to make sure we are continuing to do what
we are supposed to be doing from an operational perspective.

If the "policy" is to apply the split back to the local chapter, are we
giving attendees the opportunity to choose their own local chapter instead
of the host chapter?

I need to make sure we get this set up correctly in all of our events.

Kate Hartmann

Operations Director

301-275-9403

www.owasp.org <http://www.owasp.org/>