[Global_chapter_committee] [Owasp-leaders] OWASP-verify

Matthew Chalmers matthew.chalmers at owasp.org
Fri Mar 18 11:55:09 EDT 2011

I didn't want to reply to him or the leaders list. Do you see anything wrong
with a chapter leader requiring the chapter's board members to be OWASP
Members? I'm on the fence. But I'm inclined to say we should just reply
quoting the chapter resource material, e.g. "the internal affairs of a
chapter are in the hand of the chapter leadership" and "Chapters operate
independently from the OWASP Foundation, and Local Chapter leaders are
responsible for all aspects of their meetings."

OWASP is the only chapter-oriented organization I know of that lets anybody
start a chapter and call themselves the chapter leader without having any
requirements as to qualifications, membership, election, references, or even
organizing a first meeting; or requiring a reconsideration of any kind of
the chapter leader on a periodic basis. It's like a combination of domain
squatting and friendly dictatorships: If someone sees that there is no
chapter in a certain area, they can grab the 'rights' to it and name
themselves emperor for life.

Maybe requiring that chapter leaders be paid Members is a good thing or a
step in the right direction because it shows some measure of
commitment...unless maybe a person's employer pays for their membership. I
don't want to equate Membership with "$50" either, because the amount may
change and more importantly it shouldn't be about the money. (I still have
absolutely no idea why we even have the concept of paid individual
membership. It makes us very little money and it provides almost no benefit
to the individual.)

Another thing to consider is that the chapter's board's laying down its own
law. A single person has made this law, for chapter board members to have to
be Members; what if people who would like to be on the board don't like it?
They have to become Members, get elected, then try to change it so they can
stop being Members. What if the chapter's small and half of the membership
ends up being board members? What if they're all from the same company which
pays for their membership? Also, how do they determine who gets to vote?

I'm just throwing out a lot of what if's to see what people think. I guess
my