[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_conference_committee] "Speakers" Sub Committee

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at owasp.org
Sun Mar 13 21:27:30 EDT 2011

John,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 9:03 AM, John Wilander <john.wilander at owasp.org> wrote:
> Hi Christian & GCC!
> Just to make sure -- OWASP conferences aiming for academic submissions such
> as AppSec in Athens next year and IBWAS in Portugal must have their own PC
> and maintain a fully anonymous review process. Anything else would be
> sub-standard.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 9:03 AM, John Wilander <john.wilander at owasp.org> wrote:
> As always, selecting speakers is prone to biases so I'd advice some checks
> and balances in any newly formed speaker committee.

Yes, I agree - I was thinking of proposing that the speaker selection
committee for each event (excluding academic) would consist of:
1. 30% from where the event is held e.g. China
2. 30% from the region e.g. Asia Pacific
3. 40% from outside the region i.e. North and South America, South
Africa and Europe

The Speaker Selection Sub-Committee would provide these individuals
with access to EasyChair.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 9:03 AM, John Wilander <john.wilander at owasp.org> wrote:
> Note -- for AppSec in Stockholm I was the only one on my committe who knew
> who any of the authors were. We selected our whole program based on
> abstracts and screenshots, no names. All speakers got three different
> anonymous review notes upon notification. Many speakers who where rejected
> got back to us and thanked us for our organized process and non-biased,
> transparent review. Please take this into consideration when planning for a
> speakers committee.

I believe EasyChair offer this functionality i.e. removing the name
from the Abstract.

I would like to see that the CFP responders are allow a chance to
clarify based on the feedback i.e. two rounds of selection.  SecTor in
Toronto, Canada does this and that is why their process is highly
regarded by the speakers.

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich