[Global_chapter_committee] 2011 Chapter Committee Proposed Budget

Tin Zaw tin.zaw at owasp.org
Mon Mar 7 20:26:30 EST 2011

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your feedback on the budget.

1. I do not have the actual numbers for 2010 Ootm but I believe 10-20k
is the range they used last year.

Kate, do you have the numbers on how much was allocated and how much
was used last year?

2. I appreciate your opinion and I do think that we can use efforts by
both the volunteer committee members and paid professionals. However,
I think it is more beneficial for the foundation if we have an
administrative assistant who can focus on routine paperwork so that we
as information security professionals can focus on the real task of
advancing OWASP's mission.

This $5k budget might just come from the board and we may not need to
do anything (as per board's call agenda for tomorrow --
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/March_7,_2011). I am, however,
concerned that $5k is a small amount of money for someone who has to
support at least three committees. We may not be getting much help. I
hope the board and Kate can work this out to be more efficient.

3. I was not aware about Education committee and university chapters.
Thank you for brining it up. I will follow up at the Chairs meeting. I
believe our committee should take on it but I am OK either way.

The budget should be used for costs associated with initial meetings
of the chapters, such as venue rentals, refreshments, speakers,
promotion materials, etc. It is debatable whether we should provide
some university chapters of strategic importance (brand name schools
with enthusiastic support by the faculty)  with seed funding. The fund
can also be used to reimburse travel costs of a leader close to the
university to help things get started.

4. It is not to be used for free training or just meet and greet. The
purpose is to have regional chapter meetings along side conferences,
with leaders from local chapters and representatives from chapter
committee to discuss what works, what not and how to improve things.
There will be work to do.