[Global_chapter_committee] Discussion on New Chapter Finance Policy

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Thu Jun 30 10:23:04 EDT 2011

Matt, the crappy proposal came from me.  It is an attempt to flush out the community consensus on the very heated topic of chapter finances.  It was a byproduct of the conference revenue split and cap debate.

It is an additive to a proposed compromise to another heated topic, also regarding chapter finances.  It was not voted on but I'm glad to see it being discussed.

When an organization donates $5k to become a corporate supporter of the OWASP foundation and indicates, say, Milwaukee as their local chapter, $2k is allocated from the foundation into an account that is available to that chapter to directly support OWASP in Milwaukee.

The Foundation, then, has a responsibility to show that company that their funds are being used to support the program.  The Milwaukee chapter operates as an extension of the Foundation.

You can apply this situation to conference revenue as well.

In this and in the other thread, I am merely trying to promote the concept of accountability at a local level for expenses incurred on behalf of the foundation.  Recently, there have been accusations of secret budgets and of inappropriate spending at all levels.  Regardless of how one feels the funds should arrive in a particular chapter's account, I think that everyone can agree that it should be spent appropriately.

Trying to keep the funds available to the chapter means being able to approach the donating company next year and ask for renewal because we can show that their donation increased awareness in the community by hosting chapter meetings, or providing outreach to 1000 developers or [insert activity here] and not that we spent your $$$$ on a chapter board planning meeting at a really great restaurant with a full bar and we need some more, please.

Alison writes the checks and the board signs them.  As far as I know, there have only been a couple of instances in the past few years where eyebrows have been raised before funds are paid.  This illustrates that there are no restrictions on how funds are spent.  That's fine, but in effort to protect the chapter leader from accusations of mismanagement don't you think some checks and balances at the chapter level would be appropriate?

These are the "chapter funds" and not just the "chapter leader funds". Companies who spend money want a ROI.  we need to be able to quantify this for them.

Kate Hartmann
OWASP Operations Director