[Global_chapter_committee] Discussion on New Chapter Finance Policy

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Wed Jun 29 10:29:16 EDT 2011

The inclusion of the treasurer is to allocate responsibility of the funds should be called for specifically when the amount exceeds a particular threshold.  To point to the chapter handbook doesn't really work as those are "suggestions" on how to run a chapter.  We should be very careful when referencing the handbook since, as I think we all know, the community is allergic to policies.  :) The handbook should be used as " best practices" not policies.

That being said, when we are referring to finances, there needs to be checks in place to prevent potential accusations and to protect our leaders.  Since the local funds reside as a liability on the foundations p&l statements, the foundation retains ultimate responsibility for oversight.

The treasurer can be the chapter leader, but there needs to be clear accountability within the chapter for use of funds.

Again, this all probably is not as critical for chapters with $200 or so who want to order pizza, but more so for chapters with thousands.  Thus, the threshold for balances or amounts.I

How about a reimbursement request form that requires two chapter leader signatures for an amount over (insert amount here) and maybe over another amount needs to be addressed as "new business" at a chapter meeting.  It's not any different at the global level.  I can not expense or purchase anything over $500 without approval of the board, no matter how important i think it might be to global operations.  It's just good accounting to make sure that expenses are approved.

If we approach this with the intention of protecting the chapter leaders and not restricting them, then we should be able to collectively develop a process that works.

Kate Hartmann
OWASP Operations Director