[Global_chapter_committee] Starting a new chapter in Costa Rica

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Wed Jun 29 01:26:39 EDT 2011

Hi there,

Thank you for considering starting a chapter in Costa Rica!

It is helpful but not essential to be a security expert. One of the main jobs of a chapter leader is to organize meetings preferably every month (and at least four times a year), and for that you need to:

a) have a (cheap) place to meet to hold the expected initially small number of attendees. Every chapter works this way at first.

b) Have a list of potential speakers. This is the hardest thing to do, and if you don't know anyone in our field, this will be a struggle every month. Everyone has access to all of OWASP's Powerpoint and video collection to help with months that you can't find a speaker, but having local speakers is a great reason for folks to come. This can be tricky at first especially if you don't know many folks or folks think they have nothing to talk about. What I do is encourage attendees to join OWASP projects, help them out, and give status updates on a rotating basis.

c) Encourage attendees to join OWASP. It's not mandatory to be a member to go to OWASP meetings, but we do strongly encourage folks who attend meetings to join OWASP. There's a 40/60% split in revenues to help offset certain costs you might incur. I would suggest not incurring any costs for as long as you can until you're sure there's enough interest for an active chapter.

If you think you can get a venue, organize speakers at least four times a year and up to the challenge of developing a new chapter into a self-sustaining group - and most of all, have fun doing it, please let us know.

If there are any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

thanks,
Andrew