[Global_chapter_committee] Finances Section of the Chapter Leader Handbook

Tin Zaw tin.zaw at owasp.org
Tue Jun 28 21:35:42 EDT 2011

Kate,

Thanks for kickstarting the chapter finance discussion. In this email, I
will focus on reimbursable expenses and hardware. I will start another
thread for chapter finances (
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Chapter_Finance_Policy_and_Procedure).

On reimbursable expenses -- or appropriate use of funds -- we should expand
the list of reimbursable items.

But before that, we should make it a policy and practice that *all chapter
finances are subject to OWASP policies and ethics, as well as common-sense,
fiscal responsibility and good judgement*. In other words, *funds are to be
used for advancing OWASP mission in a prudent (and frugal?) manner*.

We should add "Administrative support for the chapter", or expand "Promotion
of a meeting" to "Managing  and promoting chapter activities" which includes
administrative support.

As for the hardware, how about this policy? *Hardware* -- computing
equipment, audio visual equipment, etc. -- *is owned by the Foundation but
dedicated for use by the chapter that funds it for its useful life*. If a
chapter dissolves and has some hardware, it must be returned to the
Foundation. For tax purposes, we could depreciate it within whatever the
allowable period is (2 years?). Fully depreciated equipment can be disposed
or continued to use at the chapter's discretion.

Does the Foundation need to track the hardware assets? If so, the chapters
should be required to report (via Google Spreadsheet, for example) the
status of the hardware including depreciation.

I think it sounds good for US chapters, but I don't know what the
complications are for international chapters and chapters under European
Foundation. I need help and comments from our international committee
members.

The question of if the hardware is needed, yes it is. Many times, we use our
own equipment or borrowed equipment (such as the host organization's) for
our hardware need. For example, I have been using my personal spare laptop
for many of the OWASP activities -- most chapter meetings and AppSec
conference -- until it died recently. It came in very useful when a keynote
speaker at AppSec conference got her laptop stolen. (BTW, I requested a
reimbursement for a laptop because my personal spare laptop I was using for
OWASP purposes died, and I thought it will be good use of LA chapter's
funds. LA Board agreed too). We could also use things like video camera to
record meetings -- some members requested it -- but we held on to this idea
because we do not have time for post-production work.

Committee members, please share your thoughts.

--
Tin Zaw, CISSP, CSSLP
Chapter Leader and President, OWASP Los Angeles Chapter<http://www.owaspla.org/>

Google Voice: (213) 973-9295