[Global_chapter_committee] Membership Update

Matthew Chalmers matthew.chalmers at owasp.org
Wed Jun 22 14:15:57 EDT 2011

Has a lawyer reviewed the precise wording on that page regarding
tax-deductibility? At the bottom of the page it says, "OWASP banner ads are
not considered 100% tax deductible," but then goes on to say, "Organization
supporters...however are fully tax deductible." Under Organizational
Supporter it says they get a banner ad (for 30 days). Under Chapter
Supporter it does not say anything about banner ads. Chapter Supporters seem
like a mini-Organizational Supporter: they get a vote, but only for the
chapter not the organization; they get a logo, but only on the chapter page
not the organization page or newsletter (I assume--and this bothers me
because not all chapters are so organized); anybody can have a 'collective
voice' on the Industry Committee so this is not a benefit worth mentioning.

While I'm at it, I also have issues with a couple of the "features" listed.
One, "Optional - Host a local OWASP meeting to raise security awareness at
your offices." This doesn't even make sense. How does hosting an OWASP
meeting (if it means chapter meeting) raise awareness at their offices? If
it means "to raise awareness, at your offices" (note the comma), why are we
imposing this on chapters? Maybe a chapter already has a facilities
sponsor--we can't force them to have a meeting at an organizational
sponsor's facility. This all sounds to me like it wasn't given a lot of
thought.

Two, "Optional - Annual local sponsorship of a local chapter by allocating
40% of your annual donation to your choice of chapter or share among several
chapters." There's nothing to say this automatically makes the
organizational sponsor also a chapter sponsor, which is supposed to get a
logo on the chapter page and vote at chapter (see above). The organization
is essentially splitting their donation to be part 'platinum level' chapter
sponsor rather than having to pay extra for it--although the 'extra' could
be as little as $0 depending on the chapter. Advocating somewhat for the
larger organization here, it doesn't make sense for any organizational
sponsor to be able to get all the benefits of all other organizational
sponsors but send 40% of the money to a chapter. Obviously for a chapter it
sounds great--money without allowing a vote in chapter business. I just
think some things need to be clarified here.

I went through the forms to become a supporter just to see how it worked. I
don't like it

First, "chapter supporter" isn't even listed on the first page (
http://www.regonline.com/builder/site/Default.aspx?EventID=919827). This is
unacceptable, speaking as a Global Chapter Committee member.

Second, there's a link after you get to the personal details page for
submitting a feedback/query, but it's not a named link, it's just a URL to
Google Docs. It's unprofessional. It also takes you directly to the form,
rather than in a new window, so they can't even go back to the
contribution/membership sign-up process.

Next, Why are such details as address required if the "do not include in
directory" button is clicked? If someone wants to give us money without an
address, who cares? If it's required for credit card acceptance, that should
be stated, or it should be gathered on the payment page.

Next, "company/org" should not be required for individuals. If they want to
be listed in the directory without a company, that's their prerogative. If
they're allowed to list "none' or something, that should be stated. But
"none" should not be listed in whatever this directory is.

Next, why is "cell phone" required? Why not just whatever phone they want to
give, or none unless required for credit card acceptance?

Next, why does it ask for a password when you logged in with a password?

Next, why does the 40%/chapter option come up when you've selected Chapter
Sponsor on the previous page?

Next, when you click "details" at the point where you can elect to split 40%
for a chapter, the link takes you to the chapter category page rather than
the membership levels explanation page. There is no 'help' on the chapter
category page.

Next, I'm curious who (or how, if automated) maintains the list of chapters
in the pull-down menu. I don't know if I've ever heard that but it's
important for the Chapters Committee.

Finally, why doesn't the system allow the contributor to set their own level
for chapter support instead of just gold/silver/platinum? It says on the
membership page (link below) that the chapter can set its own levels.

Matt