[Global_chapter_committee] Local Chapters - Global Chapter Committee - Board relationship in the Chapter Handbook and On The Move

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Fri Jun 17 22:12:53 EDT 2011

OTM money has been used a fair bit by those who know that it is available. I know the MSP chapter used it for like their first bunch of speakers, for example. And that's okay as it was used properly according to the rules. But it doesn't mean that should be the norm. Local chapter leaders should try to find folks who are already in town or going to be in town at the time, and OTM money be used to fly in as a last resort.

It's just that every chapter leader I've ever spoken to about the program does not know it exists, like when I spoke to the Portland OR chapter leader at OSCON in 2010. That's our fault for not communicating the program's existence well enough. However, I personally believe that if OTM was better known, we'd easily break $100k a year in shuffling speakers around.

If anything, I think if we are going to keep or make OTM more affordable to the foundation is to put a cap on per speaker uses (like say four trips per year) as well as review the current chapter cap. Otherwise, OTM will be a bottomless money pit.

I'd like to also encourage remote speaking, where folks use video conferencing. Personally, I don't like travelling as much as I used to, so if a chapter can get good speakers via video conference, that should be a choice we promote.

For less than $500 USD, we can buy a decent camera, stand and mic:

Flip Ultra HD: $129
http://www.amazon.com/Flip-UltraHD-Video-Camera-Generation/dp/B0040702HA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308362157&sr=8-1

Mini Tripod: $8.95
http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Video-ATR1B-Tripod/dp/B000VJRUKS/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_c

Wireless lapel microphone: $144
http://www.amazon.com/Azden-WMS-PRO-Wireless-Microphone-System/dp/B00006JPD8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308362208&sr=1-3

Yes, I agree there's an asset management issue we need to work on, but for less than the price of one OTM speaker per chapter, we might get 12-20 talks videoed and available to everyone on the planet. I think that's a good investment, especially for places where English is not the first language, and where it might be hard to get to chapter meetings.

Not every chapter will require all of this, as a lapel microphone and a web cam built into most computers would do the trick at a pinch.

thanks,
Andrew