[Global_chapter_committee] Local Chapters - Global Chapter Committee - Board relationship in the Chapter Handbook and On The Move

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at owasp.org
Fri Jun 17 21:21:26 EDT 2011

Andrew,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Andrew van der Stock
<vanderaj at owasp.org> wrote:
> Next, on the move.
> I'm personally against this program. Some speakers seem to use it far, far
> more than others, which benefits them more than it benefits OWASP. Most
> chapters do not know that OTM exists when I've mentioned it to them, but I
> think we if mentioned it more, it'd just be a huge drain on our funding. As
> a conslutant, I fly for my work, and I make it clear when I'm available for
> local chapter talks.
> I'd like to enable speakers to register with us, so chapter leaders can find
> local-ish speakers more easily, and find out when all registered speaker's
> trips coincide with a meeting date at a particular location.
> I'd prefer to provide money to chapters to buy cheap digital video cameras,
> a stand, and lapel mikes so they can video meetings with high quality audio
> and upload talks to wherever we've agreed is the place we upload videos to.
> That way, more folks can see talks, and potentially, if chapters are having
> difficulty in findings speakers, they can stream a talk from another

I am under the assumption that OotM has not been requested or used
since OWASP USA 2008 until the recent requests related to AusCERT and
South America.

The main reason I avoid OotM is due to dealing with the significant
bureaucracy vs my professional cost in time i.e. this vastly exceeds
$500USD.

I would also like to highlight that when I was employed at Foxtel
(i.e. during OWASP USA 2008, etc) I was *not* able to claim my travel
expenses as tax deductions as it was unrelated to my employment.

I support the purchase of video cameras, etc but how would these
assets be tracked, returned and allocated i.e. per chapter, country,
continent?

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich