[Global_chapter_committee] OWASP Chapter supporter

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Wed Jul 27 10:57:26 EDT 2011

I agree that this has always been a shortcoming for the OWAPS donation
model.

Since OWASP instituted the 60/40 split, the *infrastructure* has always been
available to donate to projects. In fact, if you scroll down to the bottom
of the OWASP Donation Scoreboard (
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Atu4kyR3ljftdF9aZkY0YjRFcmNBY21OaWo3djdkUXc&hl=en&output=html),
you'll see that a there's a small number of that have taken advantage.

Originally when we were still using PayPal to obtain such donations, it was
difficult to roll out universally to projects given that there is no
standard project page template and each project page is maintained by the
individual project leader. When the process changed to the current system,
my recollection was that there was no addition of projects to the system
because there was not a centralized list of projects to pull into the
registration field.

After the GPC Working Session @ AppSec EU, we now have such a list and it's
on our task agenda to provide a way for projects to get donations the same
way chapters get donations. Logistically, I believe new projects spring up
far more frequently than chapters and the challenge is to either come up
with a workflow to update the registration form to include projects as they
are added - or to find an alternative way to provide this functionality. We
talked in the past about having an open text field, but unfortunately we've
seen some widely inconsistent entries for project and chapter names. These
could be individually reviewed, but that type of workflow simply doesn't
scale...

So in short, yes - I'm aware that it's a problem and we're working on it for
projects :)

-Jason