[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_membership_committee] Updates to Chapter Leaders and Project Leaders on Membership Spreadsheet

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Tue Jul 26 09:44:22 EDT 2011

Board,

I think we need some clarification on what was "decided" at the last Board
meeting regarding Honorary Membership and the Election.

I'm fairly certain that each Board member walked away with a different
interpretation of what was being voted on...

Below is *my* interpretation of the two measures that were voted on by the
Board:

> I thought the first measure was whether active project/chapter leaders were
> *automatically* granted votes in the election and the second measure was
> whether they should be *automatically* granted honorary membership.
>
> The key part was "automatically", as the existing Membership Committee
> policy regarding leaders already allowed for granting of honorary membership
> to leaders (and by virtue of that membership, a vote in the current
> election).
>
> My impression had been that both these measures passed, with the
> understanding that:
> * Automatic grant of election votes only applied to this election
> * Ongoing grant of automatic honorary membership is an extension of the
> current Membership Committee policy to grant honorary memberships to
> leaders; should the Membership Committee decide to modify the requirements
> for honorary membership, the automatic grant would be revisited (and
> potentially discontinued).

What I mean by the last point is that if the Membership Committee later
decides to change the requirements to be a "member" or "honorary member",
individuals would not necessarily be automatically granted "honorary
membership". In fact, depending on the change, automatic grants might be
suspended and replaced by an alternate strategy.

As has already been noted by several individuals, we need to do a better job
of capturing information so that everyone knows the item being voted on
before, during, and after the meeting.

-Jason