[Global_chapter_committee] Agreed upon terms for new conferences/chapters policy

Tin Zaw tin.zaw at owasp.org
Fri Jul 8 01:30:50 EDT 2011


Hi Sarah,

While I cannot say if you get Mark's argument right, I can say that you got
my position right. The only factor for deciding which committee's policy
should be that $1000 of foundation's resources test. And the event can be of
anything -- including training, meetings, conferences of any length; it
should not matter.

Thanks.


On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Sarah Baso <sarah.baso at owasp.org> wrote:

> Tin,
> I just wanted to clarify for the rest of the committee, when we were
> discussing local events we were talking about things like training days,
> outreach events and mini-conf . Regular chapter meetings are not considered
> local events; as Mark said, they have always fallen under chapters committee
> policies.
>
> Additionally, I don't think anyone is trying to prohibit local chapters
> from charging for local events, the question at hand is which committee is
> in the best position to support local events. The Conferences Committee's
> position is that with their experience in event planning and management,
> they can provide better support for the event organizers. Thus, when a fee
> is charged by local chapters or local event organizers for their local
> events, Mark would like the conferences committee policies to govern the
> event.
>
> Your argument, as I understand it, is that *whether a fee is charged* by
> the organizers to attend the event *should not be factor* in the
> determination of which committee has responsibility for supporting the
> event.
>
> Am I correct in my understanding?
>
> Thanks,
> Sarah Baso
>
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Tin Zaw <tin.zaw at owasp.org> wrote:
>
>> Global Committee Members,
>>
>> Mark Bristow and I discussed today about conference policy and which
>> events fall under what committee's policies. While we agree that events that
>> the foundation invests more than $1000 should fall under the conferences
>> committee policy, we did not agree that all events that charge a fee should
>> fall under the conferences committee policy. Please see my argument on this
>> below.
>>
>> We are deferring this to the board which voted last time, at least in
>> principle, that all events other than four global AppSec's fall under
>> chapter committee.
>>
>> At this point, we will have to stay tuned to the board's discussion and
>> decision on it on Monday. Board calls are open and you are welcome to join
>> and listen to. You are also welcome to provide me with your thoughts so I
>> can present them at the board meeting.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tin
>>
>>
>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> From: Tin Zaw <tin.zaw at owasp.org>
>> Date: Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 4:42 PM
>> Subject: Re: Agreed upon terms for new conferences/chapters policy
>> To: Sarah Baso <sarah.baso at owasp.org>
>>
>>
>> Below is my argument.
>>
>> Prohibiting chapters to charge for events, including conferences, will
>> negate the very idea that local events are put under the policies of the
>> chapter committee. That idea is to encourage chapters to organize events and
>> promote OWASP mission. Chapters should be able to recover their financial
>> investments in events such as conferences. Prohibiting them from collecting
>> fees from conferences essentially puts local conferences back under
>> conference committee. Chapter committee strongly oppose it.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Sarah Baso <sarah.baso at owasp.org> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Mark and Tin-
>>>
>>> I created the attached PDF based on the google doc with the agreed upon
>>> terms for handling local/regional events.  Could you please email me back
>>> noting your agreement to the terms on this contract EXCEPT that which is
>>> highlighted in yellow.
>>>
>>>
>>> Also - below is the email I will send to the board tomorrow evening. If
>>> you could email me your arguments by 5pm Pacific/8pmEastern...then I will
>>> insert them and send them onto the board.
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>>
>>> Sarah
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> (recommend Sarah sends this to the board)
>>>
>>> OWASP Board,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> As instructed at the OWASP Board June meeting, the Conferences Committee
>>> and Chapters committee chairs have met and discussed what we feel is an
>>> appropriate policy for splitting the oversight responsibilities for OWASP
>>> events.  The chairs have come to agreement on almost all points with the
>>> exception of one.  The Conferences Committee Chair feels that any OWASP
>>> event that is requiring a fee for entry should be classified as a conference
>>> and therefore fall under the responsibility of the conferences committee.
>>> The chapters Committee Chair feels that OWASP chapters should be provided
>>> the flexibility to require fees be charged at chapter hosted events.  Neither
>>> committee chair takes exception to the solicitation of donations at ANY
>>> event.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Argument from Chapters:
>>>
>>> <tin puts a paragraph in here>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Argument from Conferences:
>>>
>>> <mark puts a paragraph here>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ●     If you are *in favor* of using a required fee as a criteria for
>>> committee responsibility determination vote *YEA*
>>>
>>> ●     If you *do not believe* that requiring a fee as a criteria for
>>> committee responsibility determination is appropriate vote *NO*
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> The committee chairs request that the board make the final decision on
>>> this matter at the July meeting and the new policy be adopted effective
>>> August, 1st 2011.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dir: 312-869-2779
>>> skype: sarah.baso
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Tin Zaw, CISSP, CSSLP
>> Chapter Leader and President, OWASP Los Angeles Chapter<http://www.owaspla.org/>
>> Chair, OWASP Global Chapter Committee<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Chapter_Committee>
>>
>> Google Voice: (213) 973-9295
>> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tinzaw
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Tin Zaw, CISSP, CSSLP
>> Chapter Leader and President, OWASP Los Angeles Chapter<http://www.owaspla.org/>
>> Chair, OWASP Global Chapter Committee<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Chapter_Committee>
>>
>> Google Voice: (213) 973-9295
>> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tinzaw
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Dir: 312-869-2779
> skype: sarah.baso
>
>


-- 
Tin Zaw, CISSP, CSSLP
Chapter Leader and President, OWASP Los Angeles Chapter<http://www.owaspla.org/>
Chair, OWASP Global Chapter
Committee<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Chapter_Committee>

Google Voice: (213) 973-9295
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tinzaw
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/global_chapter_committee/attachments/20110707/82195cd8/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the Global_chapter_committee mailing list