[Global_chapter_committee] [Owasp-board] Results of Feb GCC Action items from the board

Mark Bristow mark.bristow at owasp.org
Thu Feb 17 17:20:16 EST 2011

I'm about to get on a plane and be out of comma for a few days so I'll try and be brief (apologies for terseness in advance)

It's important to remember that before the GCC policy there was NO profit sharing at all.  So anything is better than nothing IMO.

If the board decides that local events should be run by the chapters committee that's fine and conferences will certainly respect that.  I however don't think this should be the case.

Conferences has debated this subject ad-nausseum.  I don't think anyone is particularly happy with the policy but no one is vehemently against it.  That's hard compromise working.

The caps are important.  Remember some events make 100,000 even a 10% share is a mighty one.

There was a version with drastically reduced % and no caps that was part of the vote.

One important consideration of a no-cap system is that some chapters may become "rich" and some poor.  This inequity is counter to OWASP culture and could be dangerous.

If chapter budgets start approaching high 5 or 6 digits, this is money the foundation can't use for operations, additional staff, SoC and strategic initiatives.

Local events almost never make money.  They are almost always free and the foundation is the one who covers the cost.  This is why the low cap as local events on the whole will always be a net expenditure for the foundation.

Local events get financial backing and the "OWASP" brand.  This is not insignificant.  Yes they get less central support but still get all of the systems (such as reg and advertising) paid for with central $.

I gotta go board, but I assure you all of this was discussed to excess during GCC debate.  We also did loop in chapters mailing list however there was no response.

I suggest we leave the policy in place for at least 6 months.  Get some real data about how well it works.  And re-evaluate at that point.

-Mark

Sent from my wireless device