[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_conference_committee] [press:33] Re: Fwd: Fwd: OWASP On the Move Funding for AusCERT 2011

Justin Clarke justin.clarke at owasp.org
Mon Apr 25 07:45:23 EDT 2011

On 25 Apr 2011, at 12:24, Christian Heinrich wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Justin Clarke <justin.clarke at owasp.org> wrote:
>> So, while it is certainly desirable to look at how we can influence external conferences, its not something any OWASP committee has any budget allocated to at this point. Note - this is a question that the Connections Committee had looked at in the past - i.e. is OWASP willing to support external events (largely by allowing the use of the OWASP brand), but funding for attendance is not an issue in these situations as we use local chapter attendees and negotiate free entry and/or speaker slots in these cases.
>
> Brisbane has $20 donated to it - I expanded on this within
> https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/global_conference_committee/2011-April/001278.html
>
> Is there a URL for the thread as to the request from the OCC to the
> Board for the above?

That particular discussion never went to the board - as it was only discussed in committee and it was decided that we weren't going to interfere with local chapter events (which these are usually) and we didn't take it any further (note - OCC archives are here https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-connections-committee). In these cases any costs would have been paid by a chapter.

As an aside - this is exactly the type of thing that Chapter funds could be used for. As opposed to trying to get extraordinary funding, can you get someone to sponsor the attendance, and/or get an OWASP organisation member for the Chapter? Then the chapter can use these funds directly, within limits, to support local initiatives. Getting extraordinary funding is going to be challenging in the devolved model (Committees with budgets instead of the Board holding the budget) as I'm not sure how much of this is in place in advance of the forthcoming Board elections etc.

Justin