[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_conference_committee] [press:33] Re: Fwd: Fwd: OWASP On the Move Funding for AusCERT 2011

Justin Clarke justin.clarke at owasp.org
Mon Apr 25 06:20:01 EDT 2011

I missed the start of this email trail, but was the original question whether OWASP on the Move funds could be used (by who?) to attend a non-OWASP conference?

My understanding is that these funds are for chapter meetings only, and that conference attendance sponsorship is up to the local conference chair (e.g. NOT the Conferences Committee Chair). As these funds come out of sponsorship budgets for the conference itself, the conference organisers can choose to sponsor this way for the overall good of the conference (i.e. for key speakers to attend), and the Conferences Committee wouldn't normally be involved in speaker sponsorship directly.

So, while it is certainly desirable to look at how we can influence external conferences, its not something any OWASP committee has any budget allocated to at this point. Note - this is a question that the Connections Committee had looked at in the past - i.e. is OWASP willing to support external events (largely by allowing the use of the OWASP brand), but funding for attendance is not an issue in these situations as we use local chapter attendees and negotiate free entry and/or speaker slots in these cases.

Justin