[Global_chapter_committee] OWASP Funds and International Chapters

Tin Zaw tin.zaw at owasp.org
Thu Apr 14 11:45:33 EDT 2011

Zaki,

While I don't know details about how Wikimedia manages their funds, I can
imagine that their costs are centralized (hosting of web servers) and their
fund raising is distributed (city to city).

For us, both fund raising and spending are distributed.

All,

I talked to a local ISSA board member. Their membership model is that each
individual member pays $95/year to ISSA mothership, plus local chapter dues,
set up by local chapter. It is $20/yr for ISSA LA chapter.
http://www.issa.org/page/?p=membership_types_10

Local chapters live on that $20/member plus vendor sponsorships and proceeds
from the local conference.

I am not endorsing the ISSA model per se. I think ISSA is more of a
professional networking organization while we are more of an advocacy
group.

I believe ISACA runs the similar model too. I need to talk/do research on
that.

--
Tin Zaw, CISSP, CSSLP
Chapter Leader and President, OWASP Los Angeles Chapter<http://www.owaspla.org/>