[Global_chapter_committee] Chapter Request in India

Puneet Mehta puneet.mehta at owasp.org
Mon Dec 27 05:40:38 EST 2010

BTW- I received an offline request through linkedin for starting a
Coimbatore Chapter from one Mr. Manmohan who runs an IT Advisory company
there called ITAAS. I explained him the entire process of starting the new
chapter, the rules and basic things he would need for supporting and running
the chapter. So it seems there are two interested people in this region to
start a new chapter and one of them has already initiated a formal request
to Kate.

It is not always that the request for addressing a problem comes to Kate,
there have been several instances where Dhruv and i have been contacted
directly to sort out the issues. Since they are addressed locally, they
don't get pushed to Kate or committee.

As Dhruv mentioned, we are constantly looking for opportunities to promote
OWASP in as many local regions as possible, but there remains some issues (
example: Time constraint, Leaders inability, lack of communication and team
culture ) which effect the chapter's activities and leads to inactive state.
If you see these are common problems with every chapter worldwide. So we
need to find some concrete solutions to this through a Governance model
which provides transparency, visibility and some performance parameters that
can be measured.

Just thought of sharing my view.

Happy Holidays :-)

Regards
Puneet

--
Puneet Mehta CISSP, CSSLP, CISA, CEH, CPTS, BS7799 LA, BS 25999 LA, ITIL
OWASP Delhi Board