[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_conference_committee] [Global_membership_committee] Conference/Chapter Revenue Splitting

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Wed Dec 22 09:26:53 EST 2010

Tin, I am really not picking on you, individually, but need to really speak
up on this subject since it is a very critical one for the foundation as an
organization.

Tin, please be careful when you bring in phrases like, "this is the core of
the matter here."  Really, I disagree with that statement.  The idea is not
that simple - guilt.

We are working on a global solutions to the chapter funding.  Not every
chapter can host an AppSec and the regional events do not bring in that much
revenue.  We need to think about the message we send to EVERYONE.

Hosting an AppSec or any conference should really not be about the money.
In fact, until very recently, the local chapter did not receive ANY split
and we still had lots of chapters asking to host the conference.  In 2008,
as a result of the first Summit, the Membership model was modified to
provide local chapter's a 40% share of incoming membership fees.  This means
that a corporate supporter attached to a local chapter would generate $2K.
There are many chapters who have used this "seed money" to drive membership,
participation, and bring in additional chapter revenue through corporate
supporters.

Looking  at the first paragraph about OWASP on the website, at the mission
of OWASP, it reads:

"The Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) is a 501c3 not-for-profit
worldwide charitable organization focused on improving the security of
application software. Our mission is to make application security visible,
so that people and organizations can make informed decisions about true
application security risks. Everyone is free to participate in OWASP and all
of our materials are available under a free and open software license. "

It is MY OPINION based on what I have seen Globally, energy spent on
Membership is more financially rewarding in the long term, and, hour for
hour, provides a greater return on investment.  The profits for an AppSec
conference are really the result of turning the membership relationships
into sponsorships.

Tin, really, I challenge you to look at the sponsorship revenue from AppSec
US and point to the local companies that stepped up to sponsor the event.
Most of them are Corporate sponsors at the foundation level that I was able
to connect with to generate sponsorship for the event.  Additionally, it was
the mailing lists created by the foundation and the blasts that generated a
good portion of the attendance for the conference.

The conferences committee is debating an opportunity to essentially reward
the local chapter for their investment in time with the equivalent of 2 or 3
corporate membership splits as funds to continue the efforts in that region.
One of the proposals on the table is to use the remaining split of the
profits to assist other, smaller, newer chapters who otherwise would not
have the funds to secure a venue, print flyers, bring in speakers, or find
other ways to promote OWASP.

I am sorry if it seem like I'm being harsh on you.  I see OWASP from the
center and therefore very often try to find a compromise that benefits the
entire organization.

Kate Hartmann

Operations Director

301-275-9403

 <http://www.owasp.org/> www.owasp.org

Skype:  Kate.hartmann1

mark.bristow at owasp.org

OWASP Global Conferences Committee Chair - http://is.gd/5MTvF
OWASP DC Chapter Co-Chair - http://is.gd/5MTwu
AppSec DC Organizer - https://www.appsecdc.org

--
John Wilander, https://twitter.com/johnwilander
Chapter co-leader OWASP Sweden, http://owaspsweden.blogspot.com

Co-organizer Global Summit, http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011

Conf Comm, http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Conferences_Committee

--
Mark Bristow
(703) 596-5175
mark.bristow at owasp.org

OWASP Global Conferences Committee Chair - http://is.gd/5MTvF
OWASP DC Chapter Co-Chair - http://is.gd/5MTwu
AppSec DC Organizer - https://www.appsecdc.org

--
Tin Zaw, CISSP, CSSLP
Chapter Leader and President, OWASP Los Angeles Chapter