[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_conference_committee] [Global_membership_committee] Conference/Chapter Revenue Splitting

Mark Bristow mark.bristow at owasp.org
Tue Dec 21 21:52:47 EST 2010

This to me is a great example of why we should not over-fund chapters....

Some context, this chapter is proposing that, even tho they have ample funds
to send some of their leaders to the summit, that they split the cost 50/50
with the foundation even after Tom's call for "donations" to the summit fund
from local chapter funds.  Clearly the summit is a huge priority for OWASP,
however in the isolation of this chapter, it's not as important.

<snip>
As for local chapter funds, I have not been informed of, nor do I subscribe
to the notion that funds are to be used for next calendar year. Our plans
for chapter funds are for 2011 and beyond, with recognition that we will not
be hosting AppSec -- and enjoy its proceeds -- anytime soon. Our current
plans include more local outreach, support for local university chapters,
and potential rental expenses for chapter meetings or mini-conferences when
we outgrow space. In addition, I plan to leave the chapter in a better
financial shape when I step down one day.

I hope my points are understandable. I also understand that OWASP plans to
bring as many people as possible, and if and when it comes down to financial
necessity, I am willing to negotiate other options.
</snip>

While I've snipped out the bits that identify the chapter, the message is
almost perfectly intact.  It's pretty clear to me that the foundation could
really use some of these funds currently, however the chapter disagrees and
therefore we have to hunt for funds elsewhere.

I agree it's a TON of work to organize a conference, I've done it directly 2
years in a row.  But the motivation for doing so should not be a financial
one and the needs of the foundation should always come first, because in the
end, it was an OWASP event, not a chapter one.

--
Mark Bristow
(703) 596-5175
mark.bristow at owasp.org