[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_conference_committee] [Global_membership_committee] Conference/Chapter Revenue Splitting

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Sun Dec 19 02:58:35 EST 2010

The Samy tour is a great example of what happens when you remove from the
Chapters the responsibility to make the initial decision (and some of the
financial cost).

John's email below is spot on, when I talk about 'financial paralysis' and
the inability from our chapter leaders to spend (or ask) for money, that is
exactly what I'm talking about. If (in the curent model) John W. doesn't
feel confortable in asking for money, then who is?

Our current OWASP culture, doesn't promote a 'spending proactivity' of our
projects and chapter leaders. In fact, it is not even enough to say *'here
is money, we trust you, go and spend it'* (as we see with the 30k allocated
to Projects, Committees and Chapters which has barely been used).

I think that this is a reflection of the normal non-OWASP world where there
are always very strong controls on the use of financial resources.

Add to that a *"I don't need the headache of having to justify why I need
the money"* to a *"If I'm doing this for OWASP and I have the track record,
why should I even have to justify it"* to a *"I really like OWASP and don't
want to spend the resources badly"*  to a *"What are the rules for
engagement if it doesn't work out as well as I would like it to?"* you have
a perfect storm for inaction

Dinis Cruz