[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_conference_committee] [Global_membership_committee] Conference/Chapter Revenue Splitting

L. Gustavo C. Barbato lgbarbato at owasp.org
Sat Dec 18 09:18:13 EST 2010

One thing is having only one chapter per country, which can host an
AppSec yearly (yearly earnings), another is many of them which means
many different administrations. My previous comments were just related
to have a fair distribution because when we talk about fairness, we must
not only look at our own situation (which sometimes may be comfortable)
but think and decide collectively as a real team with the same strongest
goal in mind which is support OWASP organization (HQ).

In this case, a possible question can come to somebody's mind which I'd
like to try to answer pro-actively: So why not having only one chapter
per country then and get everybody together under a centralized
administration? Well, first of all, some countries are big enough for
such division; decentralization gives more motivation to leaders because
they can take decisions by "their own"; they can be more creative; more
contributions in a long term - membership and projects;  different ways
of treating some subjects because even though we are talking about the
same country, different regions/states/cities has different culture. All
in all, I have many others reasons but as this is not the main point of
this thread I'll stop here not to mix subjects-- if somebody is against
of such distribution, please feel free to contact me or Chapters
Committee directly.

Regarding asking for $, frankly, I prefer proving mechanisms to chapters
earn by themselves instead of just asking whenever necessary (in the
case of this thread, one of the mechanism is hosting conferences - I
know others BTW). Well, in order to embassy my saying aforementioned I'd
like to use a /proverb/:
"//Give/ a man a /fish/; you have fed him for today. /Teach/ a man to
/fish///; and you have fed him for a lifetim/e".  Please don't
misunderstand, I'm not saying that to host a conference doesn't involve
Conference Committee support including $ sometimes - of course it does -
my point is just related to chapters "being paid" for their work on
conferences. Mechanism: do all necessary work to host a conference;
Compensation: a good part of the Conferences earnings. Just it! In this
manner, everybody feels happy!

L. *Gustavo* C. *Barbato*, Ph.D.
Chapter Leader, OWASP Porto Alegre / *Brazil*
Global Chapter Committee Member
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Gustavo_Barbato