[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_conference_committee] [Global_membership_committee] Conference/Chapter Revenue Splitting

John Wilander john.wilander at owasp.org
Fri Dec 17 07:21:18 EST 2010

Gosh, some heavy emailing going on here.

Just a short one to answer Mark's request for examples of chapters being
denies funding.

I think this is not a case of chapters asking for money and being denied. No
such examples to my knowledge. I think the case is "we have no money so we
don't do X and Y". Chapters don't feel empowered or comfortable to write an
email to Mark or Kate and ask for $. Instead they strive in mediocracy and
skip doing better events.

In concrete terms ... Samy Kamkar's talks at several European chapters were
a huge success. But they were *not* initiated by empowered chapters. It was
a *central* OWASP initiative with a *central* funding solution in place. Now
OWASP Sweden wants to pursue this path and invite Mario Heiderich, Gareth
Heyes, Dinis Cruz etc. Great! But have we written an email to Mark yet? No.
Not even I, being a member of the GCC, feel comfortable asking for the
foundation's money to run a local event.

In this case OWASP Sweden actually has money. Why? Because we got a share of
the revenue from OWASP AppSec in Stockholm. So we're going to fly Mario
Heiderich in and build upon the success with Samy. We already have more than
500 members and we asked them what we should use the chapter's money for.
Answer: More international experts giving talks and tutorials. This is what
the chapter members want.

(Of course we will try to find sponsors to lower the chapter's costs and we
will try to cooperate with OWASP Finland and Norway so we can share travel
costs.)

   Regards, John

--
John Wilander, https://twitter.com/johnwilander