[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_conference_committee] Conference/Chapter Revenue Splitting

Ralph Durkee ralph.durkee at owasp.org
Tue Dec 14 14:30:41 EST 2010

On 12/14/2010 1:40 PM, Mark Bristow wrote:

> I still have not heard/seen 1 example of where chapters are not
> getting the support they need.  I keep asking, and no-one can give me
> an example.  People can come up with a bunch of hypotheticals, but no
> actual, real world examples.  I believe this is a perceived provlem,
> not a real one.
>
> -Mark

Here's real world and first hand.  I'm only aware of the Rochester
Chapter, but I'm sure it's got to be typical.  The chapter started in
2004, we had about $20 left one of our first sponsors raffeling off a
donated book.  That $20 or so was the budget for most most of the early
years.  We had a successful chapter, we had sponsors who provide food,
and had good meetings, but it was all done via volunteers and without a
budget or funds.   We didn't object or complain, it was just the way
things were, other professional organizations did thing that cost money
but that just wasn't OWASP way, and that was ok.   It's not that the
chapter asked for money and got turnd down, the understanding was that
there wasn't any avaiable.

--Ralph