[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_conference_committee] Conference/Chapter Revenue Splitting

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Tue Dec 14 13:32:22 EST 2010

Group, everyone has valid points.  Chapters want to be empowered to be able
to secure the funding they need to move their chapter ahead.  The foundation
depends on the revenue to provide support to all 160 + chapters plus fund
committee projects as well as a myriad of other obligations and "wish
lists."

I would suggest a moderate compromise..

1.  implement a 40/60 revenue split from the conference profits

2.  60% goes directly to the "mothership" to make sure that operational
costs are covered

3. 10% goes directly to the local chapter who provided the volunteers to
help the conference run successfully

4.  30% goes into a "chapter fund" that is available to ALL chapters for
local chapter activities.

This makes sure that the local chapter is "rewarded" directly and that there
are still funds available to assist other chapters who may just be getting
started and need a bit of a financial platform on which to get going.  (I
can point to the new Uruguay chapter as an example).  The host chapter is
most certainly eligible to withdraw funds from this pool as well.

My major hold up with the revenue split was the idea (from a strictly
operational and global perspective) of the mothership not having sufficient
funds available to assist chapters who are not large enough to have hosted a
major AppSec Event.

Kate Hartmann

Operations Director

301-275-9403

 <http://www.owasp.org/> www.owasp.org

Skype:  Kate.hartmann1

mark.bristow at owasp.org

OWASP Global Conferences Committee Chair - http://is.gd/5MTvF
OWASP DC Chapter Co-Chair - http://is.gd/5MTwu
AppSec DC Organizer - https://www.appsecdc.org

--
Mark Bristow
(703) 596-5175
mark.bristow at owasp.org

OWASP Global Conferences Committee Chair - http://is.gd/5MTvF
OWASP DC Chapter Co-Chair - http://is.gd/5MTwu
AppSec DC Organizer - https://www.appsecdc.org

--

Tin Zaw, CISSP, CSSLP
Chapter Leader and President, OWASP Los Angeles Chapter

--
Mark Bristow
(703) 596-5175
mark.bristow at owasp.org