[Global_chapter_committee] [Global_conference_committee] OWASP Points for Leaders

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Mon Dec 13 17:47:17 EST 2010

I concur, there is certainly confusion about "honorary membership". I also think it needs to be renamed to clarify the status.  Please take a look at these notes in the meantime to better understand the differences in membership options.  Note: This is still under discussion and will be more formally decided at the next membership committee vote.

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/GlobalMembershipCommittee_2011_SummitGoals

-Michael

> On Dec 13, 2010, at 2:01 PM, Jason Li wrote:
>
>> This confusion is exactly why I strongly advocate coming up with a different name for what currently represents an "Honorary Membership"
>
>> OWASP Memberships were originally a way that anyone can support the OWASP community through what essentially amounts to a paid donation of $50. There are some fringe benefits associated with this donation (right now, just discounts at conferences - http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Member_Offers).
>>
>> What we are talking about here with the "honorary membership", OPoints, free conference attendance, etc is a way to recognize and otherwise differentiate people in the OWASP community.
>>
>> These are two separate ideas and we are confusing people and clouding the goals by using the term "honorary membership".
>>
>> I wholly agree that we need *some* way to recognize the community - but in order to prevent unnecessary confusion, I think we need a different term for this role.
>>
>> -Jason
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 3:34 PM, dinis cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org> wrote:
>> There is a way for you to pay as an Honorary member, it can be done simply by going to the OWASP website and buying a membership :)
>>
>> And here is the catch, speaking personally (but I know a lot of other leaders would share this same felling), I would feel very offended with OWASP if I had to 'pay' to be a member (since I already 'pay' a lot to OWASP with my time), but ... if I receive from OWASP ... the recognition (and virtual hug) ... to be given an OWASP Honorary membership ... I would be (and am) ... happy to pay the 50 USD :)
>>
>> In fact, there are a lot of OWASP Leaders that are also paid OWASP Members
>>
>> The key is the dynamic between  HAVING to pay and CHOOSING to pay :)
>>
>> The requirement to pay to be a leader would also create a barrier of entry to OWASP, and this would be (in my point of view) contrary to OWASP's values
>>
>> Dinis Cruz

<snip>