[Global_chapter_committee] Starting a local chapter in Salt Lake City, Utah

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Thu Mar 12 10:49:55 EDT 2009

The more we grow and expand, the more frequently we will see problems like
this arise.  In this case, I have spoken to Alex from Salt Lake and
discovered that his motives were not to necessarily start a new chapter, but
to find out more information on what OWASP actually does.  He is very
willing to become a member and participant in the local chapter.  I have
contacted the current chapter leader for Salt Lake and have also encouraged
Alex to contact David Campbell from Denver.  Alex mentioned that he was
actually not far from Denver.

The problems that I've seen in the past week with local chapters concerns me
greatly.  Chapters and members are the backbone of our organization.  In my
opinion, they are our "customers" and it is a huge part of my responsibility
to make sure they are happy and successful.  From a strictly business
perspective, one angry customer will impact public opinion more than 10
satisfied customers.

In addition to the swift creation and approval of the chapter handbook, I
really need support from the experienced chapter leaders on conflict
resolution.  There is the issue in Chennai, the problem in Argentina, and
the ongoing challenge of the inactive chapters.

Ofer, keep up the great work on the documentation.  Once there is a policy
and procedure guideline that has been approved, it will be easier to direct
chapters.  In the meantime, I will continue to need your support to resolve
the current issues.  Realizing that the actions I take establish a
precedent, I want to be sure that I am acting in the best interest of the
future of OWASP.

Kate Hartmann

OWASP Operations Director

9175 Guilford Road

Suite 300

Columbia, MD  21046

301-275-9403

kate.hartmann at owasp.org

Cc: global_chapter_committee at lists.owasp.org
Lake City, Utah

This type of situation is not a new one.  Several times each week I get an
email from someone inquiring about a particular chapter.  Sometimes the
chapter is inactive, sometimes, the person will be looking to start a new
chapter in a geographic area that has no current chapter.  I have set up 3
new chapters in the past week.

I want to be sure I understand what you are proposing the process to be...
The recommendations are for new chapter leaders?  Is this only to take over
an existing chapter or is it for new chapters as well.  Should I be
forwarding new chapter requests to the Committee?  In the past, I have
received written (electronic) verification from the person that they have
read and will adhere to the Chapter rules posted on the wiki.

If the "starting a chapter" process is going to change, please make sure I
have all the information I need to initiate the chapter.

Kate Hartmann

OWASP Operations Director

9175 Guilford Road

Suite 300

Columbia, MD  21046

301-275-9403

kate.hartmann at owasp.org

Cc: global_chapter_committee at lists.owasp.org
Lake City, Utah

Alex, thank you for your interest and enthusiasm!

I see there is already a chapter established in Salt Lake.
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Salt_Lake Have you contacted the chapter
leader?  I don't see where the site has been updated to reflect meetings,
however.

I will ping Dmitry and see how things are going.  It may be that he will
need some help getting the chapter moving.

Kate Hartmann

OWASP Operations Director

9175 Guilford Road

Suite 300