[Global_chapter_committee] FW: IBWAS 09 - OWASP Sponsorship

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Mon Jul 20 14:22:57 EDT 2009

So we all agree that events:  local, regional, and global, should be
executing a profit sharing model with the foundation.  Based on the
discussion below, it seems as if a 70/30 split (negotiable based on
expenditure mapping by the local chapter) should be the norm.  This will
force local chapters to prepare budgets to the Foundation to justify future
spending.  Am I correct in my summary?

For these models then, we will need to require that ALL local events be run
through the foundation.  This would include registrations, accounting,
contracts, etc.  Again, am I correct in my summary?

It seems to follow, then, that the Chapter Committee will need to include
these requirements in the chapter handbook.

All finances for local, regional, and global events must be handled by the
foundation.  The foundation will designate 30% of the event funds to the
local chapters with 70% going back to the foundation.  The local chapter
funds will then be managed by the foundation.  If they are not handled at a
“corporate level” then I would believe we run the risk of misuse of funds.
It seems to be a step toward protecting the chapter leaders from
accusations, more than protecting the money.  Reimbursements will be made
or, in cases of event planning, payments will be made in advance based on
contractual obligations.

If I am accurate in pulling together the gist of the committee’s
recommendation, I would like to put this forward for board approval at the
next meeting.

Kate Hartmann

OWASP Operations Director

9175 Guilford Road

Suite 300

Columbia, MD  21046

301-275-9403

kate.hartmann at owasp.org

kate.hartmann at owasp.org

kate.hartmann at owasp.org

To: paulo.coimbra at owasp.org
Cc: Kate Hartmann
Subject: IBWAS 09 - OWASP Sponsorship

Hi Paulo,

How are you? As you might know OWASP Spain & Portugal are organizing IBWAS
09 by the end of the year (http://www.ibwas.com).

I'm working with them as part of the OWASP Education Committee helping
them to organize materials, call for papers, etc.

I'm contacting you because they asked me about the possibility of OWASP
being a sponsor of the event.

I wonder if you see this as a possibility and what process they would need
to follow in order to apply for this.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you,

Fabio

--
Mark Bristow

OWASP Global Conferences Committee member -
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Conferences_Committee
AppSec DC 09 Organizer -
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_AppSec_DC_2009
OWASP DC Chapter Co-Chair - http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Washington_DC