[GPC] Stach & Liu - "Possible" CC License Violation

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at owasp.org
Wed Aug 3 02:47:09 EDT 2011

Jeff,

This is not a patent issue.

http://www.slideshare.net/cmlh/download-indexed-cache/2 clearly
references http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/au/deed.en
i.e. "You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the
author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse
you or your use of the work)."

The only way an entity (I have deliberately omitted Stach & Liu until
all the evidence is reviewed) could reuse this without credit would
be:
1. If it is licensed as "Public Domain" which it is not; or
2. The "Birthday Paradox" with consideration to their prior
relationship to OWASP.

I have an issue with an entity stealing "innovative" intellectual
property for their own gain without attribution of the source.

Furthermore, there is a considerable difference between the terms
"freedom" and "open" in open source communities.