[GPC] Stach & Liu - "Possible" CC License Violation

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at aspectsecurity.com
Mon Aug 1 22:08:37 EDT 2011

All,

I do not know or care about the particulars here, but all CC licenses
are copyright grants, not patents. There is no requirement to provide
attribution even if the presentation covers the exact same techniques
with different slides.  If S&L did know about this work and their work
is substantially similar, then it would have been cool of them to
provide a reference -- but NOT required.

OWASP is about making application security ideas free and open to
everyone, not about locking them up.  I sincerely hope that there is no
further discussion about this.

--Jeff