[GPC] Fwd: Funding and or Resource Donation

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Thu Apr 14 12:57:53 EDT 2011

All,

What kind of support exactly are we talking about?

The Board made a very deliberate decision back in 2009, one that I did not
initially support but now actually agree with, that OWASP should *not* be in
the business of paying project leaders to work on projects (as we have in
previous Seasons of Code). The reasons for this are many and *I don't want
this email thread to be derailed in a philosophical debate on the merits of
such a strategy*.

I'd rather focus on what we *can* do.

The direction of project funding is to provide support for projects to be
better exposed, promoted and received. To that end, we can certainly send
out messages to the OWASP community and highlight the project through all
our normal means (Podcast, Newsletter, etc) to gain help it gain some
visibility (which in turn may generate some interest). Long term, we're
working out plans to have resources available for graphic design and
technical writing review, but we do not yet have rules of engagement for
such resources (let alone the actual human resources identified to provide
those services). We're also working on getting a limited number of
conference speaking slots reserved for OWASP project leaders to highlight
their projects, but this effort is still underway (we are currently
targeting AppSecUSA 2011).

If there's something specific that you guys have in mind to support the
project along similar lines of project support, we can review the request.

-Jason
OWASP Global Projects Committee Chair