[GPC] OWASP OPA

Paulo Coimbra paulo.coimbra at owasp.org
Thu Apr 14 09:05:40 EDT 2011

Hello David,

Thank you for getting back to me. As for your question regarding the level
of roadmap's detail, I would say that we haven't a closed prescriptive
measure to deal with this question. In my view, in general terms, a roadmap
serves essentially to set up a possible sub-set of operations and needed
resources, including time, to achieve an ultimate, previously determined,
objective. More concretely in terms of OWASP culture, I would say that a
roadmap as detailed as possible, in principle, facilitates the engagement,
the potential contribution, of our comprehensive community of volunteers. It
also allows the OWASP Projects Committee (GPC) to step in and provide
guidance.

However, having said that, please note that we also have projects with
roadmaps extremely open and minimally detailed.  Sometimes it is a strategic
decision that envisages keeping the research scope as open as possible. In
other circumstances, to be honest, it seems to me that it is just the result
of the amount of time a project leader has to donate to OWASP.

In a nutshell, I would also say that being OWASP a community of volunteers
it is very open to all kind of approaches, styles and levels of effort and
we always count on cross collaboration to limit any possible shortage that a
project or initiative may momentarily have.

I hope that this may help but please feel free to get back to me whenever
you feel we can be of any help.

Nevertheless, the GPC is being carbon copied. Let us see if they provide us
other perspective.

Thanks,

- Paulo

Paulo Coimbra,